extend opening up into loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of breaking through the first floor into my extension, through the existing gable wall. One window will be blocked up, the othe will become a doorway, and I'll be putting another opening fairly close, just off centre. See sketch below..

1696069229734.png

I'm contemplating extending the opening upwards into the loft space (green dotted lines, either directly in line, or a touch wider) to allow loft access into the extension. I was thinking I'd retain the new lintels (in blue) to improve lateral support for the two brick columns together either side of the opening, given its height, and that there are purlins from the existing roof (in red) bearing on the inner leaf of the wall. Obviously the brickwork under the purlins will be un-molested.

House is 1930's clay brick, with cavity walls and cut roof on purlins.. Extension is block and attic truss.

Is this feasable? Are the blue lintels overkill?

cheers..

Sponsored Links
I'm in the process of breaking through the first floor into my extension, through the existing gable wall. One window will be blocked up, the othe will become a doorway, and I'll be putting another opening fairly close, just off centre. See sketch below..

View attachment 315512

I'm contemplating extending the opening upwards into the loft space (green dotted lines, either directly in line, or a touch wider) to allow loft access into the extension. I was thinking I'd retain the new lintels (in blue) to improve lateral support for the two brick columns together either side of the opening, given its height, and that there are purlins from the existing roof (in red) bearing on the inner leaf of the wall. Obviously the brickwork under the purlins will be un-molested.

House is 1930's clay brick, with cavity walls and cut roof on purlins.. Extension is block and attic truss.

Is this feasable? Are the blue lintels overkill?

cheers..
What, you intend cutting through the ceiling joists?

What, you intend cutting through the ceiling joists?
nope- I'll leave them in place to support the ceiling and loft floor. Due to the nature of the different roof structures the ceiling joists are at slightly different level between existing house and extension, so side access should be possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back