extend socket cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all new here, I moved in to a new property and all the sockets are fitted in to the skirting boards which are to low I can't plug some plugs in to them as the cable from the plug will hit the floor and won't fully connect in to the socket, I know I could just spin the face of the socket around to get over it but I would prefer to move the sockets higher up, this mean the cables going in to the new socket will be about 7 inch's too short. Can I dissconect the socket fit a junction box which will then be placed under the floor which has access to and then run a cable from The junction box to the new socket height? If so if the original socket had two cables running in to the socket do two cables then run from the junction box to the new socket or just one cable needed? Hope I've explained this clear enough! Any replays would be great full. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If installing junction boxes in an inaccessible location (which the underfloor will be), you need to use MF junction boxes .

You ideally will need to connect both legs/cables separately.

PS. welcome to the site/forum!

If you've just moved into the place, if all the sockets are too low, and you need to lift a floorboard at each position, it would make sense to re-wire the socket circuit completely.

This would be a chance to remove any old wiring, eliminate the use of junction boxes, and add some extra sockets too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back