Extend wiring behind a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the sockets in the kitchen and have found that on every existing socket the wiring has been stretched to its limit to reach the connectors! (Not Guilty!!!) Now, obviously, I cannot connect to the new sockets as every wire is about an inch short leaving no working space to be able to connect and tighten the screws. Is there a safe way to extend the wiring by a couple of inches or so to be able to reach the sockets. In this particular instance it is not practicable to relocate the socket further back along the run of wiring to free some up as the wiring goes left and right away from the socket. It appears to me that the sockets were installed when the new kitchen was installed some10 years ago and then the wiring pulled thru to the next socket etc. leaving absolutely no slack. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would get some flex of appropriate size (2.5mm flex can be purchased though it may be a little tricky) to use for the extentions and join the cores with solder and heatshrink.

I recommend using flex for two reasons. Firstly being flexible it will put much less stress on the joint. Secondly it is much easy to solder solid to fine stranded than solid to solid.

If you are skilled at soldering copper wire, you could use this method and then apply heat=shrink sleeving. This is a good permanent joint.

Otherwise, you can use a Ratchet Crimper and insulated crimps with their own heat-shrink. This gives a good permanent joint. Do not use the cheap flimsy ones sold in car accessory shops which are intended for 12v use.

Do a "Search" on Ratchet Crimps, or browse the Electrics UK forum, this had been covered a lot recently.

A good crimping tool will cost you about £20. Crimps with heat-shrink might be in the region of 10p each if you are not buying them by the hundred.

If you have room in the back box you can also use choc-blocks as an alternative. This is not a permanent joint as it may become loose as the copper wire deforms over time, so it must be accessible for inspction and tightening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back