Extending Socket wiring

Indeed, and for what it's worth, my personal view is essentially that all that matters about a connector block is that it is big enough to accommodate the conductors concerned. I would nearly always do as you describe, but even if conductors are only put into one side, not extending to the other, the metal of the connector will virtually (quite probably literally) always have a greater CSA than the conductors - so I can't really get excited about the 'current rating' of the connector.

However, as you says, views about this can (and do!) vary!

Kind Regards, John
I imagine the rating is based upon the physical capacity rather than an actual current capacity test. That said if the wires didn't go right through I'd honour the rating.

Sponsored Links
I imagine the rating is based upon the physical capacity rather than an actual current capacity test.
Indeed - that's really what I was implying. It's almost certainly not limited by the 'current carrying capacity' of the material of the connector.
That said if the wires didn't go right through I'd honour the rating.
That's certainly the 'ultra-cautious' approach but, as above, I doubt that it's actually necessary (and the 'wires right through, clamped by two screws' approach is always better, regardless of any consideration of 'ratings').

Kind Regards, John

We had quite a long discussion on current rating of choc bloc, the point in question was extending a MI ring final by adding a join in a socket back box, I used 15A as the 30A I/we had was too big, I ran both wires in the same side and clamped with both screws (like EFL pic but without the dark wire). In my view the connector itself wouldn't carry much current and being near the middle of the ring the join shouldn't be passing more than half the total current.
Others views varied.

Exactly right. The larger the connector diameter in relation to the conductors you are trying to join, the less intimate the surface contact between the conductors will be. I have always tried to minimise the use of the connectors needing to act as conductors, or part of the circuit.

Sponsored Links
That said if the wires didn't go right through I'd honour the rating.
Or put the wires right through.

You seem to be coming up with some strange arguments lately to find fault with what people have said by suggesting something other than what people have said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back