Extendable hedge trimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking to buy an extendable electric hedge trimmer and comparing blade length; cut width; overall length; reliability; weight; etc.

Models include Flymo, Gardena, Eckman; B&D; Gtech; Stilh, Ryobi etc

Reviews are hard to come by and contradictory (of course!) and few models are available to look at in garden centres/B&Q etc - just online.

One concern I have is weight/ease of use: Weights are sometimes given including/excluding waist-worn battery, but more significantly some models seem to have the motor at the end of the extension where it joins the blade - surely this makes it very top-heavy/unwieldy?

Any experiences welcome esp if you've tried more than one!

Sponsored Links
they are heavy and unweildy, but very useful. takes a lot of getting used to get a decent cut from them. personally i will always use a normal trimmer where i can and then the long arm one only when needed. I wouldnt touch anything other than a stihl, but depends on your budget and preference

Thanks. The Stilh is good couple of hundred more than others so your comment about budgets is pertinent.
Any other reviews / comments welcome!

Motor at the butt end is more manageable. Stihl is the nuts of course but Tanaka are a half decent poor mans stihl. If you can find a distributor.

Sponsored Links
Tanaka looks nice..... but they all seem to be petrol.

Still looking for recomendation for an electric extendable without a weighty motor 3/4 way up the pole!

Why electric? Petrol sooooo much better, and not as 'maintenance-ey' as you might think.

Why electric? Petrol sooooo much better, and not as 'maintenance-ey' as you might think.

Noisier. Smellier. Heavier. Messier (need to keep petrol). And still some maintenance.

Unless you know different....?

Still looking....

More power, use anywhere, no wires to trip over or accidentally cut.

Keep a 5 litre of jerrycan in the shed, doesn't take up that much space. If you don't drive and need a lift from a pal to go get juice then get a 10 or 20l metal one. You can get quite a lot of cutting from a full tank of fuel (about 300-400ml) which is about a cupful.

Ear defenders, about £5, and you should be using these with an electric one anyway so no big deal. Plus the safety spex of course.

Any decent brand will probably need a 'proper shop service' every 5-10 years if only for 'bank holiday' domestic usage. If you read and follow the manual you can maintain them yourself, it's easier than you think and if you are diligent it might not ever need servicing.

Leccy models might need less maintenance but the motor can always burn out, and think of the leccy bills! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back