Extended Sockets Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In Kitchen has been extended and would like to know what to do about the wiring so it is safe for future occupants as we hope to move,what was a single socket has been dropped down to just above the skirting,the original 2.5 drops from the ceiling and is in that oval plastic conduit and is about 15mm deep and then from the reversed back box with choc blok but 3cm of the cable is visible before it goes into copper pipe to the low level sockets,the house cu is rcd protected.
Would it be ok to cut a piece of galvanised capping to cover the visibe wire and replaster or do away with the sockets at floor level and move them up to where the back box is now,i put my hands up to this as years ago we did not have the proverbial pot to p in but would like a clear conscience for new owners,we would prefer the sockets low down as there is worktop on this wall and it will look a bit crap with wire hanging down if fitted where the box is now.

Attachments

• Wall Socket 001.JPG
    Wall Socket 001.JPG
    381.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Wall Socket 005.JPG
    Wall Socket 005.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
Not quite sure I followed all that, but,

you're not suppose to have single wires buried without either a sheath or conduit covering them.
Capping is not for covering single wires.

Also - does that back to front back box contain joints on the wires?
If so, screw connectors should not be buried.

Is there a possibility to put a socket where the back box is and rewire the lower socket with Twin and Earth?

Thanks for the reply,
Its all te cable but the one going down i was a bit generous in stripping the sheath,did not think of having a single socket and then dropping from that to the double but if i do that am i ok with the plastic conduit on the top half and the copper on the bottom half?

Sponsored Links
Yes 30Ma,plus it would save all the chasing out/making good which is what i want to avoid.
Thank you Sir.

Good.

Another consideration -

Is the original wiring, to top cable(s), part of a 32A ring circuit? Are there three cables under the box?
Only you're not suppose to have more than one socket on a spur.

Thats a point there is only a single but it is original wiring from from when it was built as previous occupiers would not have done sweet fa to the place along with conductors are red and black which thinking about it is odd as the other sockets all have 2 cables,would it tell me on the eic what type of circuit it is.

Not without taking floorboards up,do you think i should just swing the box round and reterminate wiring and put a new piece of 2.5 in to the lower socket and fix a blanking plate that way allowing acces to the join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back