Extending 12v dc for LED indoor panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a circular led source that I intend to fit into my porch
It's the same as several that I have around the house, and has a small transformer to go from 240ac to 12dc. This terminates in a short dc cable . Normally you'd screw the transformer to the ceiling and then plug in the led, covering the transformer

It would be easier to put the transformer in the garage and switching it through the hall wall, running a ready made 1m long led light extender cable. I would put the extender in plastic trunking or conduit to fit to the ceiling in the enclosed porch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LBA9OK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anybody se an issue with this?
Ta

Sponsored Links
The unit linked to is not 12 volt, it is 42 - 65 volt 300 mA, but no real reason why they should not be separated, it should auto compensate for volt drop, and below 75 volt DC so still classed as extra low voltage.

Some manufacturers of LED driver modules do have a reccomended maximum lead length between driver and LEDs.

Some driver modules create Radio Frequency Interference ( RFI ) due to the way they control the power at their output. The longer the lead the more RFI is radiated,

Some manufacturers of LED driver modules do have a reccomended maximum lead length between driver and LEDs. Some driver modules create Radio Frequency Interference ( RFI ) due to the way they control the power at their output. The longer the lead the more RFI is radiated,
All true. However, even in the face of such a recommendation, I wouldn't personally lose any sleep over an extra 1 metre, would you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You probably would. However, how likely do you think it is than an extra 1m of cable would make the difference between it affecting and not affecting your radio?

Kind Regards, John
Half wave of 144 Mhz so it could clearly affect 2 meter side band over long distances however unlikely.

Half wave of 144 Mhz so it could clearly affect 2 meter side band over long distances however unlikely.
As I said, I would think it very unlikely that the 1m extra would make the difference between RFI and no RFI - but, of course, nothing is impossible!

As for your point, you could equally say that 35cm of cable would be a half-wave on the 70cm band, or that 11.5cm of cable would be a half-wave on the 23cm band!

Kind Regards, John

SMPS usually affect MW, LW as that is lowish harmonics of the 30 odd kHz used. An extra metre would increase the overall length by a factor of around five. That would increase the radiation by a similar factor as an untuned radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back