Extending a central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house that had a central heating system (an oil converted rayburn and 6 Rads) which just simply did not work. The rayburn could make lots of hot water but could not cope with one rad being on. This was explained to me in this forum some time ago. :eek:
Having extended the house and pondering what to do about the CH and also needing to replace the front room real fire, I decided to have a multi fuel stove fitted (we live in rural Aberdeenshire so no mains gas or restrictions on solid fuel) that has a wrap around boiler. :idea:
This was connected into the existing CH system which now works great with the rayburn also being used as a supplement to the hot water heating.
Any way, what I want to do is extend the CH system into the extension. The house is all on one level with suspended wooden floors. I know I should have put the pipes in before I floored the extension but there is quite a bit of room under there (enough to crawl around). :rolleyes:
I've given up trying to get a pro in that doesn't charge the equiv of a Vernon jackpot pools win to do it this side of the next ice age. I've read up on the 'how to solder' topic and I'm quite confident at attempting the pipe work myself.
The main feed and return to the rads is 22mm pipe and the actual rads are fed by 15 mm pipe. Is the way ahead to simply extend the feed/return pipe with 22mm pipe into the extension and take 15mm 'T' joints off it to supply the new rads? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Basicly yes ! Good idea to put 2 22mm gatevalves on after u have t'd in so u can isolate without draining if u get a problem. make sure to fit inhibiter when u refill. How many rads r u putting in the extension.

Thnks for that. The valves sound like a good idea.
I'm fitting a further 4 radiators. Tehy are rated abiut 5000 BTU each and the boiler's max output is 45 000 BTU.

u could feed ur three rads off 15mm if there not all large as long as the 15's come off 22mm. Your new extension will b under the new insulation regs i assume so u could even feed all 4 if they account to about 20,000btu or less. WELL INSULATE them under the floor up there that back boilers got a Ltd output. Its not the done thing to add trvs on this type of solid fuel system but if u are pushing the boiler to its limits a couple on the old system can help when they shut down to supply the greater demand. DONT FIT THEM to heatleak rads up stairs.

Sponsored Links
When you say well insulate them, do you mean the usual foam stuff or there something better?
All the rads at the moment have TRV's fitted, I thought they were a good idea (the pump is controlled by a thermostat on the Hot water tank which swithes it on when the water is hot enough)?

Standard thickwall lagging mitred & taped is fine. Not really meant to hav all those trvs incase they all shut down & cylinders hot. u'll get a boil on but as long as u are aware of that keep an eye on it on prolonged fires . tel me u havent got a zone valve on the cylinder.

I thought that if the water got too hot it would vent off the hot water tank into the expansion tank. :confused:
I don't think I've got a zone controller on the tank. I don't know its proper name but its designed to fit on the pipe that comes out of the hot water tank and depending on what it is set at (the range is something like 30-90) it switches the CH pump on and off.

No sounds like u just have a pipe/or cylinder stat giving your cylinder stat priority over the heating which is as it sould be.If you do ever get ever get any problems with excess heat when trv,s shut down u will here the cylinder starting to rumble. Draw off some hot water & poen a trv up to max on the biggest rad u have. You should have 1 upstairs rad without a stat. Dont want to bore u but iff u ever get the house nice & hot & the fire well stoked up & you have apower cut then u need to open up to full all upstairs trv's & run off the excess through the hot water until the fire is under control. May never happen but it did to a Farmer i went to & he did'nt know what to do & his wife said he nearly had a heart attic when it was boiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back