Extending a Garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly looking to extend my detached single garage at some point in the future and was just wondering a few things.

The plan is to add a small section to the side approx. 3m x 4m(undecided about actual size atm) creating an L shaped Garage with the new bit being used as storage and the main area being the workshop.

I'll be getting pretty close to the 50% rule on the property due to the amount of extending that's happened in the past and happening this year.

My understanding is the 50% is measured against the land as it was originally or on 01/07/1948. However my house had a section of garden sold off in the early 90's for a house to be built on it.

Would the 50% apply to what land I have left or what land the house had originally?

Sponsored Links
My view would be it’s that relating to the original house/site so selling off a part of your garden may significantly go against you.

dont forget any extensions sheds greenhouses decking all come off your now reduced allowance
dont forget you include all the garden including front garden that belongs to the house in your 50%

Cheer all, I need to go out and have a measure of things but I wondered if there was any actual rules or previous precedent that may be relevant?

Sponsored Links
reductio ad absurdum:

I own a house that was once part of a 100 acre estate. I sold the estate and kept the house and 10 sqm of garden. Luckily, because of your interpretation of the rules, I can build a 50 acre extension. Furthermore, the larger I build my extension, the smaller my neighbours' proposed extensions must become.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back