Extending a gas hob cable

I have a different question now.
I would like to have the gas hob and electric oven connect into the same outlet plate to avoid having to fit a new double socket and avoid having to extend the gas hob cable. Is this feasible ? :
This is a 0.85kw oven - 13A

config.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wound myself up over a similar post a while back.
I had given examples of discussions in this forum that had suggested it would be safe to connect a 13A oven (that came with a fitted plug) to a cooker outlet.
One of the reasons given, was that the oven would be internally fused - the cooker circuit protection was only protecting the cable.
As it was, I looked further into the spec of the oven, and at the power PCB - for this particular oven, all the internal fuse holders had been linked out - the devices over current protection was based solely on the fuse in the plug.

I'm sorry if I am still missing something, but if these appliances are missing internal fuses, can they still be connected directly to a cooker outlet plate?

Sponsored Links
Hi again everyone.
The gas installer was kind enough to give me some advice on the best electrical configuration and he is happy with a 3a fused spur for the gas hob alone. Yes that's not quite what you guys have suggested here but I want the guy to be happy as he is doing the gas install and will be signing it off.

I just want to run this by you guys again and see what you think.

I'm going to install the spur myself with some 2.5mm2 cable.

The cooker connection unit has been fitted 660mm from the floor.

My question is :

Do I need to install the fused spur flush or can it be fitted into a surface mounted box?

Second question is : Is it ok to fit the fused spur below the cooker connection unit ? Or can I fit it before the cooker connection unit as per the diagram? (OPTION2)

In either case, is there a minimum distance the two boxes need to be?

Many thanks for any information.

Cable set up.jpg

Option 2 would be silly, wouldn't it?

You can put the Fused Connection Unit (the cable is the spur) wherever you want and surface or flush; it doesn't matter.

Option 2 would be silly, wouldn't it?

You can put the Fused Connection Unit (the cable is the spur) wherever you want and surface or flush; it doesn't matter.

Thanks EFL, as always mate.
Yes it's silly you're right. What I'll do is OPTION2 but will switch them over so the spur is on the left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back