Extending a hall light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

We need to move our hall switch about 1m towards the door. This switch also controls the landing light too.

Now looking at the cables i have the following

Cable 1 Red, Black (got red tape on it), Earth
Cable 2 Red, Red, Black (again red tape)

Now one of the red cables of cable 2 is infact the earth cable and the put red sleeving over it.

Cable 2 then goes up to the landing light switch.

Now got the floorboards up and found the 2 light cables that go into the hall light switch

Normally if i was extending a light i would just use a JB and extend the cable to where i would need it.

But is using another piece of t&e as a switch cable acceptable of do i need to go and buy couple meters of lighting cable, or 3 core and earth?

And if i need 3 core and earth what is the best way to wire this up?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1BR.html

any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
Now one of the red cables of cable 2 is infact the earth cable and the put red sleeving over it.

Whoever did that was a ***t; it is not allowed.

So you really should replace this misused length of T&E with some 3-core & E between the 2 switches. That's doubled the job nicely!

If you extend cables with Junction boxes, they must be accessible, and hidden under floorboards isn't accessible, so it may be better to replace the cable between the luminaire and the hallway switch as well so you don't have to join cables.

You must also make sure that buried cables remain in safe zones defined by the new switch position, so no 'L' shapes allowed: always better to run the cables vertically to the switches.

And if i need 3 core and earth what is the best way to wire this up?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

Please supply a picture of the wiring behind the switch

echoes is right, the cpc (the uninsulated conductor in the middle) must only ever be used as an earth connection. Never, ever as a live conductor.

You'll need to pull in a whole length of 3 core & earth to wherever that cable goes to.

To add to the comments above. The three core and earth cable - it doesn't matter which terminal they go in as long as they are the same at each switch. For example I always put the brown in the common, the grey (with brown sleeving) to L1 and the black (with brown sleeving) to L2.

Check out how the upstairs switch is wired since I am assuming that the power is fed to this switch and then on strappers to the downstairs hall switch.
Normally switches are wired red to common and black to L1 for single way situations - for the two way(upstairs landing switch) I move the red to L1 and the black (with red sleeving) to L2

Don't forget the cpcs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

Will now replace the whole length of cable from switch to switch with 3 core & e.

The landing switch is wired up as follows

Cable 1

Red - com
Black (red tape) - Connector Block*
Earth - Back box

Cable 2

Red - 2 Way
Red (Earth cable with red sleeving) - Connector Block*
Black - 1 Way

* Connected together

The hall is connected as follows

Cable 1

Red - 1 Way
Black (red tape) - com
Earth - Back box

Cable 2

Red - 1 way
Red (earth red sleeving) - Com
Black (red tape) 2 way

When you replace the T&E with your 3-core & E, you can get rid of the connector block in the landing switch for bonus points.

For example:-

Landing:

L1: Red + brown (line)
L2: Black + Black (switched line)
Com: Grey

Hallway:

L1: brown (line)
L2: black (switched line)
Com: grey

Thanks

Have now managed to get the cable back to the landing switch just a few holes in the wall now

Got the cable coming tomorrow so will get it all sorted tomorrow.

And

Regarding JB

Should i crimp cable using butt ends and then put them in a chocblock?

Hi everyone

New 3 core has been run

I would like to keep the existing switch where it is now

But also add a single switch a few meters forward of the 2 way there now.

So be set up as follows

Landing (1 gang) - Hall (A) (2 gang) - Hall (b)

Do you just mirror like someone pointed out to me below?

And would more 3 core be needed?

Landing:

L1: Red + brown (line)
L2: Black + Black (switched line)
Com: Grey

Hallway 2 switch:

L1: brown (line)
L2: black (switched line)
Com: grey

You will have to be more specific about what you want each gang of each switch to do. For example if you want one lamp controlled by three switches then you will need an intermediate switch as well as two two way switches.

Hi

Sorry for not being clear

Landing switch (1 gang) - Just turn landing light on and off

Hall (a) 2 gang - Turn landing light on/off and hall light on/off

Hall (b) 1 gang - turn hall light on off

Hi

Sorry for not being clear

Landing switch (1 gang) - Just turn landing light on and off

Hall (a) 2 gang - Turn landing light on/off and hall light on/off

Hall (b) 1 gang - turn hall light on off

Assuming Hall(b) is the new switch then you will need three core and earth between the hall switch at the 2 gang and the new switch. 3 Core colour positions don't matter as long as they are the same at both switches. Don't forget t sleeve the grey and black (because they will be switched line) and don't forget the cpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back