Extending a hybrid radial ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am about to fit a solid wood floor and once its down it ain't coming back up! So before I do, I wanted some thoughts on extending a hybrid ring circuit.

During some renovation work, I found a single 5 or 6mm twisted cable feeding two sockets and wall lights in a bedroom. There was a live ring also in this room and I never figured out why that was not used. The existing ring was extended for new sockets and the radial cable terminated with the corresponding module in the consumer unit switched off.

I have a need to extend a circuit elsewhere - in the adjacent room to the consumer unit. Initially, I thought about extending the ring that is in that room. But we have a long and potted history of several consumer units being installed by previous owners and the ring in question has the majority of a 5 bedroom sockets, upstairs all on it. While I do not think it is overloaded, I would be seeking to add several new sockets.

If I could get through the wall, it would be easy to rerun the radial cable through and use that but unfortunately, that would cause major disruption lifting floors etc. Access is very tricky. However, I could extend this cable around the landing and into the adjacent room - access under all floorboards is easy and then use a hybrid circuit once it is in but the route goes about 13m the long way round. This would mean that I have a dedicated module for these new sockets, no issue with extra load etc.

Q1: The cable appears to be 5-6mm, grey T&E, twisted core but old colouring - black and red. I am assuming this is 32a compliant but cannot be sure as it is old. Is this safe to extend from using new 6mm T&E?

Q2: Does my general plan make sense?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back