Extending a mains socket cable

Now that part effin p is here isnt it about time the likes of the big diy supermarkets stopped selling electrical products, like wise i dont think they should sell gas products either, leave it to the pro's and let the pro's get it as we always have done from the trusty wholesaler...or am I just being a grumpy old fart ?

If that happend then you'd be even more grumpy cos ALL us DIYers would be forever having to go to your trade electrical counters, slowing you guys down by asking numpty questions to the staff :)

Sponsored Links
Most trade counter staff are not permitted to give advice to anyone asking numpty questions. They are told not to due to possible litigation.

Many have a notice on the door saying that they will not.

Unlike B&Q, where I was a few days ago (miles from home and in disguise, don't worry) where it seems they have numpty staff who aren't allowed to take advice from customers...

Unlike B&Q, where I was a few days ago (miles from home and in disguise, don't worry) where it seems they have numpty staff who aren't allowed to take advice from customers...

So how long have you been head of the 'Electrical Aisle' BAS ? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Gather round everyone...

b_and_q_02_420_420x284.jpg

it's on the lounge side (and was originally)...so we've not moved it into another room as such.....out of interest, what would the legal implications have been if we had put it on the kitchen side....thanks for the advice.

read up on this last night - within 3mtrs of a worktop (or was it a sink) its classed as kitchen

in which case it would need part P notification

will post the link later

Personally I think part p is a load of rubbish! What about the guys like me who having been working in the trade all ours lives and are not even aloud to work on our own houses!! I think it should be according to your jib grade!

Personally I think part p is a load of rubbish! What about the guys like me who having been working in the trade all ours lives and are not even aloud to work on our own houses!! I think it should be according to your jib grade!

prove it ?

oh yeah thats right you join a scheme

read up on this last night - within 3mtrs of a worktop (or was it a sink) its classed as kitchen

in which case it would need part P notification

will post the link later

ISTR a discussion on here previously being about 3m from the sink. I remember because I promptly went and measured my kitchin/diner and found my dining area end sockets more than >3m from the sink. :D

But I also remember reading on here or elsewhere that some LABC (including mine - ealing) interpret "in the kitchen" to mean ANYTHING in the same room without the 3m limit. :cry: . That would be a real pain for people with a fully open-plan downstairs! Depending the link you post I guess it's something that could be argued with BC if they took the extreme approach.

Haha!

I think it's about time somebody woke up and took stock.

Don't believe what you hear on site, or down at the wholesaler's counter.

You could start by tracking down and reading the single sentence that is Part P and try to justify not complying with it...
...and then try to work out what it is you're really upset about (because it isn't Part P).

ISTR a discussion on here previously being about 3m from the sink. I remember because I promptly went and measured my kitchin/diner and found my dining area end sockets more than >3m from the sink. :D

Saxondale is referring to "In open plan areas the zone of a kitchen may be considered to extend from the edge of the sink to a distance of 3m or to a nearer dividing wall." from p.56 of the IEE Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations.

Saxondale is referring to "In open plan areas the zone of a kitchen may be considered to extend from the edge of the sink to a distance of 3m or to a nearer dividing wall." from p.56 of the IEE Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations.

Ah yes I see where you mean. Good.
Though of course "may be considered" leaves room for others (LABC) to consider otherwise... !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back