Extending a mains socket cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had some builders in to create a new opening between my kitchen and dining room. They have done a great job, except they have not moved a socket which was on the wall (where the new opening now is)....needless to say, I was a little unhappy about this.

Anyway, I spoke to the resident electrician at B&Q and explained the situation and he said I could extend the cable with a 30amp junction box, linking the live, earth and neutral to a new piece of 2.5 cable, and reposition the socket further along the wall.

The exisiting socket/cable does not appear to be part of a ring main as there is only 1 mains cable running into it.

Is this sort of extension ok? Im just after a 2nd (or 3rd, 4th) opinion really.

Sponsored Links
If you can:

make sure that the cable is run in safe zones

and that the JB is accessible

then yes, this sounds like an OK solution.

If the JB will not be accessible, then you cannot use screwed connections, but crimp or solder instead.

Anyway, I spoke to the resident electrician at B&Q and explained the situation and he said I could extend the cable with a 30amp junction box, linking the live, earth and neutral to a new piece of 2.5 cable, and reposition the socket further along the wall.

Aha. How could you tell that he was an electrician? People should be aware that if they give the wrong advice then they can be held liable!

You can do as he suggests but only if the terminal box remains accessible. If the joint is to be hiidden you have to make it permanent. One method is to use through insulated crimps and the joint covered over with heatshrink sleeving.

Lots of posts on this subject here.

edit: damn you SS :LOL:

Now that part effin p is here isnt it about time the likes of the big diy supermarkets stopped selling electrical products, like wise i dont think they should sell gas products either, leave it to the pro's and let the pro's get it as we always have done from the trusty wholesaler...or am I just being a grumpy old fart ?

Sponsored Links
...or am I just being a grumpy old fart ?

yes

a houseolder is permitted to replace switches and sockets and cable, or fit new, in most rooms of his home, and this is not notifiable.

If he chooses to notify he can do anything.

...or am I just being a grumpy old fart ?

yes

a houseolder is permitted to replace switches and sockets and cable, or fit new, in most rooms of his home, and this is not notifiable.

If he chooses to notify he can do anything.

you turned into BAS? yes he can do all that you describe but not extend in a kitchen without notifying

Now that part effin p is here isnt it about time the likes of the big diy supermarkets stopped selling electrical products, like wise i dont think they should sell gas products either, leave it to the pro's and let the pro's get it as we always have done from the trusty wholesaler...or am I just being a grumpy old fart ?

People on here talk of picking and choosing which jobs they take on.

If someone called you to come to their house and extend a wire, how would that rate in your list of priorities?

Now that part effin p is here isnt it about time the likes of the big diy supermarkets stopped selling electrical products,
Not really, given that there are no restrictions on what DIYers can do, as long as they comply with the Building Regulations.

like wise i dont think they should sell gas products either,
Not really, given that there are no restrictions on what DIYers can do, as long as they comply with the Building Regulations.

People on here talk of picking and choosing which jobs they take on.

If someone called you to come to their house and extend a wire, how would that rate in your list of priorities?

so do it wrong because we`re busy then?

or plan ahead before you start?

I can't speak for anyone of you personally but I think someone would struggle to find an electrician to come out and extend a cable by a few feet.

Thanks for all the feedback....I dont think i'd get an electrician out to do this sort of job. I know there are new regs ect, but I think with some advice from places like this and im careful and check my work thoroughly it's quite safe. My house has floorboards downstairs and all the cables run under the floor. I was told that it would be ok to secure the junction box to a joist and then run the new cable from the JB....this seams pretty straight forward. Cheers.

Thanks for all the feedback....I dont think i'd get an electrician out to do this sort of job. I know there are new regs ect, but I think with some advice from places like this and im careful and check my work thoroughly it's quite safe. My house has floorboards downstairs and all the cables run under the floor. I was told that it would be ok to secure the junction box to a joist and then run the new cable from the JB....this seams pretty straight forward. Cheers.

but is it in your kitchen or your dining room ? it isnt about doing it safe its about doing it legally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back