Extending a phone socket & ADSL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
can anyone help me out with this one.

My BT master socket looks a mess & I also want to add more phone sockets around my house.
The master socket is about 7 foot up the wall

At the moment I have a ADSL micro filter in the master socket.
Then I have a triple adapter in the Phone side, for the phone upstairs, down stairs & for sky.

What would be the best thing to do ?

conect the Master socket to a joint box.
Then add slave sockets around the house.
& put ADSL filets in all the slave sockets.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Quite simple, you just 'daisy chain' your extensions from the master, you don't really need to worry about connection boxes. See here

You don't necessarily need an ADSL filter in all of the slas, unless you are using the ADSL from that extension, try it first before purchasing them.

You could get one of these. Then run your phone extensions from this. You could run separate cable for your ADSL circuit, no need for microfilters.

Yup, or if you are a dab hand with a soldering iron, do what I do. Open the micro filter, and solder the incomming BT line to the pins 2 and 5 on the LIne input. Run the PC's ADSL RJ11 to the output socket, extending via structured cabeling if required. Connect the entire house telephone socket ring/star/chain to the filtered phone output. Much nicer.

Don't forget, you should also connect pin 3 of the master, to pin 3 of all the slaves, so if you have any older phones which required a ring single, they will all have a common earthing.

Sponsored Links
No incoming telephone company cabling or connections should be touched, consumer is only allowed to connect their wiring via the front plate of the linebox.

The reason is that if there is a fault, they will charge you heavily for sorting it out, and may prosecute into the bargain.

Also, if all the extension telephone wiring is connected via the front plate, it makes it an easy job to determine in the case of a fault whether it lies with the incoming line or the extensions.

securespark said:
No incoming telephone company cabling or connections should be touched, consumer is only allowed to connect their wiring via the front plate of the linebox..

This is not the case. New BT line boxes have a user removable front plate. The instructions that BT supply with new sockets say that you are allowed to remove this front plate. Removing the plate allows one to wire from inside the line box. It is also possible to replace the front plate with one that has an ADSL filter built in, like the ones BT use.

It is not permissible to open the older style master line box.

Journyman, I think is is what Secure said, but differently. ;)

My parents got BT adsl before any of the "wires only" packages were available, the master socket was replaced with an upgraded version incorporating filters. A cable runs from this to an RJ-11 socket by the computer for the adsl modem to plug into. The installation cost was quite high if I recall, plus it isn't a direct replacement for the master socket plate (it is a different size and shape).

Looks a lot neater than my microfilter set up.

securespark said:
No incoming telephone company cabling or connections should be touched, consumer is only allowed to connect their wiring via the front plate of the linebox.

Kimba said "solder the incomming (sic) line........."

This is not permissable.

But, as FWL, pointed out, as I repeat above, it is permissable to connect via the frontplate of the linebox.

securespark said:

The reason is that if there is a fault, they will charge you heavily for sorting it out, and may prosecute into the bargain..
Last year I had my windows and doors replaced, and one morning I realised with about 10 minutes to spare that I needed to reroute the incoming 2-core black phone cable and master socket because the window where it came through the frame was next on the list.

I cut the phone cable & used some .75mm 2-core flex to extend and reroute the cable, conductors twisted together and taped up, and I plonked the master socket on top of the coat rack in the hall.

It all worked fine for ages, and it wasn't until shortly before an engineer was due to come and do the ADSL thing that I tidied it up, but I was still left with their black cable joined with choc-block, and he didn't bat an eye.

Tut tut Ban

That doesn't sound like your usual conscientious self!

What intrigues me is how you "twisted together" solid and stranded conductors...PIA!!

Yeah I know - I was in a real hurry - window man had arrived and was drinking his pre-work cuppa. And I did know that there are no dangerous voltages involved.

As for the mechanics - bare 2-3cm of solid conductor, a lot of flex conductor, wrap the flex cores tightly in a spiral around the solid cores, then fold the solid cores back on themselves and squeeze with pliers. Believe me - if I could have found where I'd put all my choc-blocks in time I would have used a couple.

ban-all-sheds said:
And I did know that there are no dangerous voltages involved.

You can still get quite a surprising pinch of a phone wire (as I once found out), and you can get sparking between two conductors. 70V is a figure that is stuck in my head.

OK, so you can't fibrilate off a phone wire and working on them live is possibly more common than switched off.

I would think in this instance any complaints from the phone company about interfering with their wiring could be met by "why was the phone wire routed through a window frame?!" Not sure about the choc-blocks though, must have affected your whoosh test somewhat!

You can get problems with messing about with your own phone wiring, in my parents house all of the extensions had been wired by the previous owners and when adsl got installed the BT engineer refused to reconnect any of them to the new master socket. Mildly inconvenient.

I think I measured it once at 50V, but not sure. You will get sparks, as you will off a torch battery, but it's a high impedance supply and I think you'd have to put the wires on your tongue or other moist areas :)shock:) to get much of a jolt.

Moist areas..ouch!!

But try grabbing hold when a call comes in........ (DON'T, JOKE!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back