Extending a ring main - Crimping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add two sockets to a ring main. Because of accessibility problems I intend to cut into a leg of the existing ring, join a length of 2.5 to each cut end and take both legs to a new socket, then spur off that socket to the other socket.
My question is, As the joins will be under the floorboards, I believe I cannot use JB's. I have looked at past posts regarding this and it is suggested that the joins be crimped then put in an insulated enclosure (or use heat shrink). Could someone point me in the direction of a link as to the best type of 'insulated enclosure' to use please.

Whilst on the subject of JB's and the need for accessibility. If you are re-wiring the downstairs lights and none of the lights are loop-in pendants, and the switches are 2 way multi-gang (ie, crowded already without having to loop in/out at the switch), then what other options do you have other than using JB's.

Sponsored Links
As far as your ring main is concerned then you do not break into both legs, leave one connected & run the new wire from the cable you diconnect to the new socket & then the second cable from the new socket back to the first one. This is regarded as notifiable work & has to be carried out by a competant person. As for your lighting is concerned then either deeper back boxes or loop in & out of the pendants, again rewiring lighting circuits is notifiable.

Are you sure it's notifiable?
He's not mentioned that the sockets are in a special location or special installation. What if he's extending a ring final in a bedroom?

there's nothing wrong with using JBs under floorboards so long as you make them accessible.

Cut the floorboard above the JB so that it only spans 2 joists, fit battens if necessary. Write "JB" on the floorboard and sketch it on any plans you have.

Sponsored Links
I did not say I wanted to break into both legs. I want to break into one leg and take a cable from each end to a socket to extend the ring. I thought this was an acceptable way of adding a socket to an existing ring. My question was ; what is the best way of connecting the two new cables to the existing leg, crimping? and if so, what is the insulated enclosure that has been mentioned on previous posts?. Is a dining room a special location?.
Also, my original post did say there were no pendants. This is a hypothetical situation and I was simply interested in the alternatives if you cannot use JB's. If deeper back boxes is the answer then fine. Is the JB method of a lighting circuit now a definite no no?

just done all my lighting joint box method and got it passed really easy for testing etc and easily accessable junctions, my house is listed and has very low ceilings so I have to have wall lights thats why I went for the jb method.

As for the sockets 30a jb under the floor marked on the board above with said board screwed down as opposed to nailed down would be sufficent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back