extending a shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have shower cabling running through my garage but need to extend the cable. Can the cable be extended using junction boxes or must the whole cable be replaced with a longer length from fuse box to shower unit

Sponsored Links
HELLO MATE,YES THIS IS POSSIBLE.
THE HIGHEST RATING FOR A NORMAL JUNCTION BOX IS 32A WHICH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR A SHOWER UNIT, IN THAT CASE USE A 40/45A DOUBLE POLE SHOWER PULL CORD SWICTH INSTEAD.
SO YOU WILL END UP WITH 2 PULL CORD ISOLATERS.
ANY PROBS GIVE ME A CALL 07944426559

could I use one of these pull swiches as a means of connecting the shower cable that needs extending, and hide it under a cenvenient floor board left in the 'on' position. ie as an alternative to a connection box?
Andre.

Sponsored Links
I have similar question. I have 6mm sq cable running from consumer unit to double pole switch for a shower. The cable at the double pole switch has burnt out. I intend to replace the double pole switch, but the cable is too short, so instead of running it from the consumer unit, I was going to cut the cable in the loft and add a 60 amp junction box with another length of 6mm sq cable. Can I do this?

Other details pertinent details. Shower is 9kw and at consumer unit 32A MCB with 30mA RCD.

you could use the switch to extend the cable, but you should never "hide" it under boards.

As long as the rating of the junction box is as big or bigger than the fuse rating of the circuit then you should be ok, however any joint in a cable should be easily accessible.

:?: does my shower have to have a double pole switch on it as mine has not it si straight from a 40amp mcb to the shower

dgdec said:
:?: does my shower have to have a double pole switch on it as mine has not it si straight from a 40amp mcb to the shower
Yes it does...as a means of isolation, you can also have a 45amp switch mounted outside the bathroom, but inside, it must be corded
and the original poster, doubt they are still about, but you can get 50amp jn boxes...

AR

What size cable is it, what power is the shower, and what will be the total length of the extended cable?

ban-all-sheds said:
What size cable is it, what power is the shower, and what will be the total length of the extended cable?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: you do get about a bit dont you sheds

What causes the cable to burn out at the double pole switch???

I have had this happen 3 times in about 2 years now!

I'm using 10mm cable and the switch is supposed to be 50amp. I am running a 9.5kw on a 40 amp fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back