Extending a socket

I have no idea where the cables are currently. As you can see from the first image I've added above, they are loose and on the opposite wall, where there is another socket, at skirting level. So at some point they either move down or slope down. It's not ideal, but it's what i'm left with!!
You aren't responsible for what the previous bunglers did.

I will probably cover it over and mark on the wall where cabling is as much as I can, before papering.
But you will be responsible for what you install, so you must do it safely.

I understand all of what you've pointed out, but I think the chances of that happening are very remote.
It doesn't matter what you think about that.

Firstly, I cannot imagine anyone not stopping drilling after going through plasterboard.
Other people's safety must not rely on them only doing what you can imagine.

But if they did they would then need to drill on through a further 15cm or air and polystyrene to reach the wire which I am situating at the back, behind it.
Your cable isn't behind the polystyrene, it's just behind the plasterboard.

But it's not your cable that would be the problem - that would be in a zone created by the socket. The problem would be that you'd have removed the horizontal safe zone in which the existing cables are running.

Is there not some sort of protective tubing on the market? That would be useful.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/index.html

I have listened to your advice on what my original question was about.
But you haven't come up with a viable answer in regards to not using a plate in the middle of my wall.
You have a choice of these:
  1. Leaving the socket there or swapping it for a blanking plate
  2. Re-routing the existing horizontal cables into a safe zone
  3. Adding earthed mechanical protection to the existing horizontal cables
If none of those are viable then neither is removing the existing socket.

I will additionally be adding full details to my home pack and held with with the deeds in regards to the work for any future owners, so that they are informed.
Not acceptable.

Sponsored Links
(google "cable safe zones" for more info).
No need.

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

It's very sad that the lady was killed and maybe in that example if the cables had of been run correctly it wouldn't have happened.
Not much "maybe" about it.

I do thing safe zones should be publicised more and the public educated to their existence.
What's really needed (and this doesn't just apply to electrical work) is for people to stop thinking that they don't need to learn about things before they dive in and fiddle with them.

Sponsored Links
(google "cable safe zones" for more info).
No need.

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

"If a cable is run outside of the zones shown with green and blue then it must either be buried to a dept of 50mm or more below the finished wall surface, or comply with regulation 522-06-06 parts (i), (ii), & (iii)"

So according to that, if I remove the polystyrene and ensure the vertical wire that I put in is set back from the plasterboard to a depth of more than 50mm, problem solved. Correct?

IF the polystyrene is more than 50mm (2 inches) thick. And you were to clip the cable to the wall behind so that there was no possibility of it moving.

It really doesn't look like that insulation is that thick from your photos. It doesn't look all that much thicker than the two T&E cables ruinning above it - which would make it about 30mm.

But assuming it really is, if you're going to remove the plasterboard to do that then why are you so dead set against routing the cables in the safe zones?

If you are removing the top socket then it would be the horizontal run that would need buried over 50mm but don't forget it will also have to be 50mm from the finished surface on the other side of the wall as well. The vertical drop would be in the safe zone of that socket!

More concerns to deal with:

Best to extend both
It's not just "best" - 2.5mm² twin & earth sandwiched between plasterboard and polystyrene is only rated at 21A.

And - oh dear - polystyrene.

Bad idea to have PVC cables in contact with it.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134950[/QUOTE]

Polystyrene aside (I did not get to see the pictures), I can't see a problem with extending with one cable: what's the difference between that and a spur?

So according to that, if I remove the polystyrene and ensure the vertical wire that I put in is set back from the plasterboard to a depth of more than 50mm, problem solved. Correct?
Incorrect.

it's not your cable that would be the problem - that would be in a zone created by the socket. The problem would be that you'd have removed the horizontal safe zone in which the existing cables are running.

Polystyrene aside (I did not get to see the pictures),
Pictures were there:

I can't see a problem with extending with one cable: what's the difference between that and a spur?
Well it would be a spur.

And whilst it's all very well to say that a double socket is only rated for 20A, the ability for it to pull 26A through a cable only rated at 21A has to be recognised.

It would not be onerous to extend the ring (or to use 4mm²).

The pictures I were referring to were the ones the OP posted showing polystyrene in contact with the supply cable.

As for the extension of the socket position in a single cable, you cannot ignore the fact that the regulations allow this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back