extending boiler flue through a new 'lean-to'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A picture tells a thousand words, so these would explain what I'm looking to do/solve.

Basically I want to put a simple perspex (or such) roof over the back door and windows, to have a few metres of dry area, it wont be closed in, so just a shelter really.

...but I have a boiler flue in the way, which will just steam up and rot wood, etc, as well as look pretty stupid.

I'm trying to find the right kind of kit to extend the flu either straight upwards and through a roof, or coming horizontally away from the door to come out underneath the roof.

Moving the boiler isn't really an option due to cost and it already being in the best spot it could be (although I'm now wondering if I could/should have had it fitted in the above bathroom where the old tank was :/ )

What do you fine people think?

Thanks!!

roof would go in here somewhere...

flue (it is angled)

Ideal boiler...

Sponsored Links
You will be looking at boiler relocation - it is not acceptable to simply fit a plume management kit as the air intake and POC outlet would be in different pressure zones YOU MUST CONSULT A REGISTERED GAS ENGINEER before going any further with your plans ;)

Oh dear, really?

I thought it'd just be more a case of it being away from the windows and such. So I guess a straight 90 degree upwards turn is no good? That seemed to be a solution on another thread about flues I found on here.

Fair enough tho. That sounds expensive so I'll likely leave it till next year and crack on with sorting the crazy paving instead.

I suspect the flue bits to do as you want are available, however, whether the manufacturer would approve of it being outdoors is another matter.

Sponsored Links
Some manufacturers will allow a pmk to be used in this situation. Worcester certainly do.
The inlet and outlet will still be in the same pressure zone, that only relates to differnt sides of a building. Ie you can't take air from the east side and terminate on the west side.

Best advice would be to contact a registered gas fitter and get a few ideas.

Hmm, maybe I'll call the guy that fitted it. His yts kid didn't do a clever job on the rad piping due to rushing it, but they did the lot in a day and boilers been fine for a few years...

They can cut the flue to the correct length whilst they are there too.

The black terminal should be flush to the wall with the white section in the wall.

Hmm. So these fully registered people still have a little carte blanche going on eh? ;)

I'll post some pics of the pipe work, you'll love it! One pair of crossed pipes, one rad has pipes bending different ways and one rad has push fit one end and soldered the other! But like I said they probably farmed the 'easy' work to the youngster who didn't quite understand the gravity of what he was doing. Get in, get paid, get out, next job...

The heavy lifting was the boiler replacement and fair play they did a good job and all at a fair price. I can fix pipes :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back