Extending existing extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to extend my 2m long extension to 5m. Walls on the old extension are 9" brick with no cavity. My question is do I need to demolish existing walls and start fresh building up the cavity wall or can I retain these and simply continue on new concrete footing with 9" brick?

Similarly the existing concrete slab. Can I just pour new concrete next to the existing without connecting the two or do I need to make some provisions for connections? I assume I don't need to remove existing concrete slab.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Are you insulating internally or externally then if you’re having a solid wall? Or you build a cavity wall but accept a bit of a step out internally or externally at the join. Pretty sure there was a thread the other day on here with that setup
Yes you can pour new slab next to old but depending on floor covering, it’s likely to be an expansion joint/potential to crack

Hi. Thank you for your response. So basically the answer is that new wall will have to be insulated even though it is going to be just extension of the existing 9" that is not currently insulated. I think in that case I will just do cavity wall instead and have step out on the outside. No point making solid brick if I still need to insulate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back