Extending existing wall - what to do with join?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have a TV mounted on a wall (the wall is the boxing in of a fireplace).
I am getting a slightly wider TV so want to extend the wall by a few inches either side.

As you can see in the pics, the current wall in finished, and I intend to build a small frame either side.

Few questions please if you can advise:

How much gap set back would you leave to skim once plasterboard is up (1mm, 2mm...)?
Would you skim so as to meet the existing edge flush or feather it out onto the existing wall?
Would you tape the seam between the existing edge and the un-skimmed edge (so the tape would sit back slightly on the edge to be skimmed?

I will be repainting if that helps with the options.

Any other advice appreciated, thank you!

IMG_0165.jpg IMG_0166.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just let the new tv stick out a couple of inches.
Nobody will ever notice.

Just measured, it's just under 5" either side, so would definitely be obvious.

Sponsored Links
Alastairreid - I am actually considering this. Have never skimmed before, but seeing 80% will be hidden behind the TV, this could be good practice before I skim the fireplace boxing in below (y)

Single piece of plasterboard. Anything else is almost guaranteed to crack, if only to **** you off because it would bother you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back