Extending external concrete path?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I had my porch closed in with uPVC and I now need to try to extend or fill in the concrete path that leads up to the door. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would do this as well as a guess towards the mixture of materials that I would need for the concrete?

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it just that earth section you show on the 2nd photo?

Either way you are not going to get a seamless match on colour. The new will look , well, new.

Thanks for the quick reply - it is just the earth part to go perpendicular to the front of the door.

I know that I won't get a good match, but I'm hoping to get as close as possible and with time (and London dirt) the grays will look similar.

line.jpg

dig out the area 4 inches down, and infill it with concrete. A mix of 1 part cement to 6 parts all in ballast, mixed together and then with water added

Sponsored Links
Use a temporary wooden batten to make a nice clean edge. Remove when concrete has nearly gone off.

There's an old adage that says if you can't hide a joint then make a feature of it. As you will be unlikely to blend the new into the old perfectly have you considered using a dye in the new concrete or using a different material such as bricks?

wouldnt bother with dye, it will fade very quickly and look rather pants imho

Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it a shot and post a picture when it is done - unless it turns out really awful and then I'll take it out and try again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back