Extending floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm removing my planked floor and replacing it all with 18mm plywood. I'm then going to add decoupling membrane to tile over. I've come into a little snag where some of the floor joists don't go to the end of the room. Pic below:

What is the best way of extending these to the edge. Not doing so means the floor flexes which will obviously be bad for the tiles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Is it just the middle one in that pic? How deep are those joists? Is the timber underneath 1 and 3 carrying joist 2 at the moment?

Get your weight moving on the floor and feel for sway or sagging.
Joist tails are best firmed up in wall pockets. You cut the pockets in the brickwork.
But noggins will help give a stiff floor.
Screw on a length of same section joist to carry the short joist to a pocket

Theres a wall plate below the joists - you could use basic connectors such as Simpson 90 x 90 angle connectors to pin the joists to the wall plate.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

@Louis. Yes, i've seen sistering joists, just wondering if there is anything else i should be doing to increase support.

@robinbanks Yes, the timber underneath the joists is carrying Joist 2. The joists are about 100mm deep, 50mm wide. There are 2 joists which don't reach the end. One more directly after the one in the pic.
@tell80 I intend to put noggins in too. None of the joists actually go into wall pockets. The angle connectors again seems like a good idea. I will probably do this as well.

I intend to sister the joists, add noggins and also add a piece of wood to the last wall just before the tiles for the joists to sit on. will this be sufficient support?

Thanks again guys!

Alternatively joist hanger a timber from 1 to 4 so it touches the ends of 2 and 3, then joist hanger the ends of 2 and 3. Plenty of watts to skin the cat!

What supports the wood that supports 2 and 3 presently?

Just screw a bit of timber into the masonry to give you something to sit the edge of the ply on and fix - a bit of 2x2 or whatever other offcut you've got will do.

1670270258538.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back