Extending fly cables on a IP camera external dome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm toying on the idea of getting 1 or 2 POE IP camera's to fit outside my house. I've 'borrowed' one for testing purposes and have it temporarily wired up but inside looking through a window.

The trouble is the fly lead for the connections is only about 12" long and I dont want to have to put a joint box next to the dome.

I was thinking I could take the fly lead off and wire the cat5 cable directly into the dome? How to profesional fitters get round this problem?

cheers.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be tempted to extend the fly lead, but that's your choice.

Anything wrong with camera and you warranty is well out of the window.

Depends on what you have cable wise and where the connections are made and where they are running to, as to best option, large base may be a better option so the dome will look a little larger but there is no separate junction box.

Yup. As he said... Try and coil up the lead in the back of the housing and make the joint there. (I assume that your walls are more than 12" thick.) You can also drill a big hole, push your cable through from the inside, connect the camera on the outside, pull the cable and connector back into the wall and mount the camera over the hole.

Alternatively, if you can mount it under the soffit (single storey), you can make the joint in the eaves. Run the cable through a hole big enough for the connectors, join to the 12" lead on the outside, poke everything back through and then fix the camera.

You can also drill a big hole, push your cable through from the inside, connect the camera on the outside, pull the cable and connector back into the wall and mount the camera over the hole..

cheers, would a rj45 to rj45 coupler be ok just sat in the wall cavity? would it be better to wrap the joint in self amalgamating tape?

Sponsored Links
I don't think I'd use self-amalgamating tape in case I needed to take it apart again. I might wrap it in one good layer of regular insulation tape, though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back