Extending height of metal gazebo / pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As the title suggests, is there an easy way I can extend the height of this gazebo / pergola by 6-7 inches as there currently isn't enough clearance for the French doors to open...:(?

https://gyazo.com/559632dedac5df4240288af41e02b371

We bought some bolt down post shoes but the problem we now have is that the shoes are 75mm (smallest available) and the steel posts are 60mm, so there is a lot of wiggle room. As well as this there is a lot of free space at the bottom of the shoe as we've had to bolt the post at the top of the shoe to raise up the required height.

Would filling the post with some sort of concrete mix be a good idea or should we go back to the drawing board and try something else?

We are using the following shoes:

https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-steel-fence-post-support-plate-l-70mm-w-70mm/1628475_BQ.prd

Can anyone help!?

Sponsored Links
I would be thinking something like an extra piece of 60mm box section steel, or wood painted to blend in.

If you can drill bolt-holes in them, you could use concrete repair spurs, readily sold at DIY, gardening or fencing places.

These are sometimes used to repair wooden posts that have rotted and broken near the ground. They are actually reinforced concrete and have two holes where you bolt them to the old post after lifting and propping it. They are sunk into the ground for a fence to prevent leaning, but a gazebo with 4 or more legs does not usually lean. It might blow away though.

I think the ones I use are usually 4ft high. They are quite heavy.

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to build small pillars /planters and mount the legs ontop . Either basically a bucket of concrete turned upside down, or something that you can also plant flowers in.

You can buy recycled plastic /non rot fence posts 100x100 and cut them down to be a close internal fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back