Extending intergral garage by 1 foot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to extend my integral garage by around 1 foot at the front of the house. Currently the garage front is set back by around 3 feet from the front of the house (L shaped house in a way). I cant fit my classic car into the garage in its current state.

I know i dont need planning permission to make changes internally to the garage, but would i need them to do the extension? im guessing i would but want to know for sure

Sponsored Links
as long as you keep it within the footprint off the building you should be ok but i believe you must keep the appearance the same or similar

does this apply if the house is a semi detached? as my garage is next to next doors garage and there is an ally way in between the 2. If i extend my garage, then it will stick out further than next doors garage front, but not the front of my or next doors house front! if you get me?

Sponsored Links
as long as you are talking less than 3ft rather than 4 foot and sticking out beyond the front profile off the building that needs permission

Mmm... I didn't think under permitted development you could extend past the 'front' of the house line, even if it steps back for a garage. I could be wrong however.

Now, if you ARE able to do so, then you need to use similar building materials to construct the extended garage area...

I have seem someone else doing this with a lovely lead roof to it, decent doors, but have constructed the frame out of timber and to the edges of this "extended" garage they have used black plastic... I am amazed no one has not dobbed them in yet...

Paul.

So you're wanting to extend the garage by 1', which still leaves 2' between the new wall and the existing wall to the main house? I can't see why that can't be done under PD, providing you have PD rights.

If in doubt, ask and speak to your LPA :)

the only exception is if there's a substantial distance between highway and frontage

(ii) the distance between the house and the highway - in cases where that distance is substantial, it is unlikely that a building can be said to ‘front’ the highway. The same may be true where there is a significant intervening area of land in different ownership or use between the boundary of the curtilage of the house concerned and the highway.
page 15

well from my reading of that article i believe i need planning permission, as i will be altering the principle elevation of the building and it does front a highway.....all be it a quiet side road. The distance between the 'highway' and the principle elevation of the house is about 6 meters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back