extending IP camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an IP camera with a 5V 1.0A step down on it.
The black wire in the picture says 80degrees 300V on it.
To extend I have just simply connected up some electric cable (white in the picture) of 0.75mm2
It seems to power the camera correctly so it is supplying enough voltage but is this the correct wire to do this with or is there something else better recommended?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/30/hsz.JPG/

Sponsored Links
heatshrink would have looked nicer than the tape, but yeh, it'll be fine.

I'm 99% sure I insulated all the inner wires but let's say I didn't and something eventually moved and touched. Worst case is just the fusebox would trip?

Sponsored Links
Nope, I'd be surprised if you could do anything with the output of that power supply which would trip the fuseboard.

If the two wires properly short together it's hard to say what would happen without knowing the specifications of the power supply, the PSU may just shut down if it's clever enough until the short is removed, or it could blow an internal fuse.

So no, that isn't the worst case. If the wires had some kind of high resistance 'short' which only lets one amp through then there may be local heating, which in the worst case (say someone spills lighter fluid on it when a black cat crosses the path of a new moon) could burn your house down. Stranger things have happened.

So, as it's only tape, unwrap it and try again, making sure there is no chance the wires can touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back