Extending mains cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I wish to replace a double mains socket in the kitchen. The current socket is just a face plate embedded into the wall, but the new socket with be attached to a back box.

The trouble is that there is not enough mains cable to stretch the extra bit of length required.

What do I need to do?

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to replace a flush socket with one in a surface mounted pattress? :eek:

Simple way is to use one of these and a short length of extra cable(s).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCON30.html

Which MUST be accessible for servicing, so the old back box becomes a home for a junction and then has a flat face plate fitted.

Or keep the existing d/socket and run 1 x 2.5TE to the new socket as a spur.

Or crimp on to the old cables extend to new location and plaster / tile over the permanent joint.

Sponsored Links
Simple way is to use one of these and a short length of extra cable(s).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCON30.html

Which MUST be accessible for servicing, so the old back box becomes a home for a junction and then has a flat face plate fitted.

Or keep the existing d/socket and run 1 x 2.5TE to the new socket as a spur.

Or crimp on to the old cables extend to new location and plaster / tile over the permanent joint.

Sorry - all this is above my head!

What cable do I need?
You need the same kind of cable as already connected to the socket. You can buy it by the meter at Wilkinsons, 2.5mm squared twin and earth. You can get the connectors there too, they have to be 30 amps so are quite chunky.

Inside the grey (probably) cable there are three other cables. Remove these carefully so you don't damage them.

Cut these individual cables to the correct lengths so with the connector block they reach the terminals in your new socket. The connector will need to fit into the back box so you can get to it if needed.

You are also supposed to sheath the earth connector, that's the bare wire one, with green/yellow plastic sleeve. They sell this at wilkinsons too.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAGS3slash10.html

Or B&Q etc but you will pay more there.

Make sure it's all nice and tight, the colours of the new wires go to the right place, and you should be sorted. Keep it simple.

Because there is now a mains cable running in and out of the socket.
1) That makes no difference.

2) If it only had one cable before it's either a radial circuit or that socket is a spur. If the latter, and unfused, and it has a 2nd cable because you have added something then that's wrong.

What did you do, and what checks did you make?

3) Part P.

What cable do I need?
Sorry - all this is above my head!
Please get an electrician.

Or put the project on hold and work your way through these first:

What cable do I need?
You need the same kind of cable as already connected to the socket. You can buy it by the meter at Wilkinsons, 2.5mm squared twin and earth. You can get the connectors there too, they have to be 30 amps so are quite chunky.

Inside the grey (probably) cable there are three other cables. Remove these carefully so you don't damage them.

Cut these individual cables to the correct lengths so with the connector block they reach the terminals in your new socket. The connector will need to fit into the back box so you can get to it if needed.

You are also supposed to sheath the earth connector, that's the bare wire one, with green/yellow plastic sleeve. They sell this at wilkinsons too.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAGS3slash10.html

Or B&Q etc but you will pay more there.

Make sure it's all nice and tight, the colours of the new wires go to the right place, and you should be sorted. Keep it simple.

Fab advice - thank you. Will look in Wilko's today.

If my earlier post was too much for you, please don't do the work. You're end up hurt or someone using the new socket will :eek:

How many cables are there at the moment? THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION.

It's not clear from your answer to "Why do you want to replace a flush socket with one in a surface mounted pattress?" exactly what you are planning to do.

If you aren't adding another cable, why do you need to change a flush socket to a surface one?

Come to that, even if you are adding another cable, why do you need to change a flush socket to a surface one?

sobeitjedi could you please pay attention to the other guys advice here.

chapeau's advice is being a little vague, and you need to understand things more clearly. (No offense)

:)

chapeau, do you work for Wilkinsons or something? ;)

How many cables are there at the moment? THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION.

It's not clear from your answer to "Why do you want to replace a flush socket with one in a surface mounted pattress?" exactly what you are planning to do.

If you aren't adding another cable, why do you need to change a flush socket to a surface one?

Come to that, even if you are adding another cable, why do you need to change a flush socket to a surface one?

Why am I changing from flush, well .... at the moment the socket is almost inset into the wall. The mains wire runs down the wall to this socket (powers this socket) and then feeds another socket further down the wall. The cables down the wall are protected by cable covers. The problem is, the cable covers stick out more than the socket (where the cable tidy's meet the socket, so part of the cable is exposed). Replacing the socket with one with a backbox will protect/hide any exposed cable and provide a neater join between the cable tidy's.

Hope that makes sense.

at the moment the socket is almost inset into the wall. The mains wire runs down the wall to this socket (powers this socket) and then feeds another socket further down the wall.
So you have one cable supplying two sockets?

The cables down the wall are protected by cable covers.
Photos?

Replacing the socket with one with a backbox will protect/hide any exposed cable and provide a neater join between the cable tidy's.
Cutting a chase in the wall and burying the cables would be neater still.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back