Extending my existing (water) underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an extension to the house a few years ago and installed water central heating in the new concrete floor. This heats less that half of the floor space of the open plan kitchen / family room.

The rest of the floor is the original house floor (un-insulated concrete slab). The builders broke out some of the orginal floor when the extension was done and replaced it with a modern insulated and heated floor.

We're considering having the remaining original floor in the family room broken out and replaced with the same style of new floor.

The heating is in white plastic pipes buried in the concrete. The pipes are flexible and approx 18mm diameter. They emerge under the gas boiler and terminate at a manifold (see pictures below). There are two installations visible, one for the family room and one for the lounge, both controlled by their own thermostats.

It's the family room one I want to extend. Currently, it's heating an area approx 22m2. If we broke out the original floor and extended it, it would be an additional floor area of 28.5m2.

Does anyone know what the maximum floor area is for the system I've got?

Is it practical to attempt to dig/expose and connect to an existing installation?

Thanks.

DSC-1199.jpg

DSC-1197.jpg

DSC-1198.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back