Extending outside socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have an outside socket at my home which is a spur from and inside socket on the adjacent side of the wall.

I understand I can’t run another spur from the socket or from the spur itself but I need a single socket further round my wall.

Is it ok to run an extension using a 3pin plug plugged in to the outside socket wired in to a single IP rated external socket?
So it would be sort of using an extension lead, just a homemade permanent one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This way you are adding a socket not an appliance, so no longer an extension lead as by fixing the new socket to the wall it is part of the do estic installation.

Blup

Yes as you are adding a 13 amp fuse in the plug, but there are other methods, I used a grid switch system IMGP7387c.jpg with a socket, switch and fuse in a four module plate size of double socket once you add the 13 amp fuse you can add as many sockets as you like.

This way you are adding a socket not an appliance, so no longer an extension lead as by fixing the new socket to the wall it is part of the do estic installation.

Blup
Hi, thanks for reply.

However I’m not really sure what you mean? Are you saying it can’t be done because I’m adding a socket to the extension?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Outdoor Socket, Outdoor Double Plug Sockets Waterproof IP66 with 3m Extension Lead, Weatherproof Outdoor Plug Sockets, Exterior Wall Garden 2 Gang Storm Switched Socket Outside Power Socket https://amzn.eu/d/3SQZiNs

You could replace the current outside socket with an outside fused spur fitted with a 13A fuse. Refit the original socket next to it and wire it to the load side of the spur. You could connect the two sockets together, they would both be protected by the 13A fuse so perfectly safe, assuming the cable is adequately protected from mechanical damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back