Running an IP rated extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I’m in the UK and am ok with the work, just a bit sketchy on regulations.

I have an outside IP rated socket running off an FCU which works fine.

My issue is that I now need another single socket higher up.
I realise I can run another spur as there’s an FCU but I don’t want to do that as the main socket it smart and I’ll lose that functionality.

Is it within the regs to run an ip rated plug in extension from my smart socket and place it where I want it? (Basically an extension lead) with 1.5mm 3 core and an IP rated single socket on one end and a 3 pin plug on the other.

That way I’ll still have the smart functionality.

It’s only powering 15 x 2w LED lights.

I’ve added a little pic for you.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• IMG_2642.png
    IMG_2642.png
    2 MB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Thank you :)

That’s the ultimate idea mate. But at the moment cost is a factor.

I already have the single socket and 3 core so it’s easier at the moment.

IP rating is just an easy way to declare what water and dust ingress to expect, unless you specify IP4X or similar IP rating means nothing.

I also plug in my outside sockets, means easy to disconnect if there is a fault, and also can use plug in adaptors to get smart functionality.

As long as protected against overload (13 amp fuse) and there is a RCD some where, then no problem.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could do as you propose - but why not buy another smart socket?
Indeed - but in addition to the cost issue which the OP has mentioned, what he proposes to do suggests that he wants the same 'smart control' to work for both sockets, which might well not be possible with two separate 'smart' switches?

Kind Regards, John

I have an outside IP rated [double] socket running off an FCU which works fine. .... My issue is that I now need another single socket higher up.
I realise I can run another spur as there’s an FCU but I don’t want to do that as the main socket it smart and I’ll lose that functionality.
Fair enough.
Is it within the regs to run an ip rated plug in extension from my smart socket and place it where I want it? (Basically an extension lead) with 1.5mm 3 core and an IP rated single socket on one end and a 3 pin plug on the other.
If you have just a single socket on the end of the extension, and plug it into one of the outlets of the existing socket, then you'll still only have two available outlets to plug things into (one in the double socket, plus the new single one). Is that what you want (i.e. one of the outlets higher up than the existing double one, but still just two usable outlets in total), or do you need three outlets in total (the existing two plus a new one - in which case you would need a double socket on the end of your extension)?
That way I’ll still have the smart functionality.
Indeed - and as I've just mentioned in my reply to EFLI, that functionality would exist across both the existing and new outlets (with the same control), which might not be easy (or necessarily even possible) if you had two separate 'smart' sockets.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back