Outside Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Done the search, but not really found a definitive answer....

Is this correct-

From a socket on the ring, spur off to a new 13a fused spur adjacent to it (for ability to isolate outside socket), then through wall to IP rated socket with RCD built into it.

thanks

OG

Sponsored Links
From a socket on the ring, spur off to a new 13a fused spur adjacent to it (for ability to isolate outside socket),
20A switch will do. You don't really want another fuse.

then through wall to IP rated socket with RCD built into it.
Yes, unless there is already RCD protection on the ring.

If not, it may be better to fit an RCD to the ring.

Whichever switch you use make sure it is double poled, 20A ones usually are but not all fused spur units are.

Sponsored Links
Whichever switch you use make sure it is double poled, 20A ones usually are but not all fused spur units are.
Indeed - but it's many years since I last saw an FCU which didn't have a DP switch - does anyone still make them?

Kind Regards, John

No point in a second RCD; there is no extra safety, and if there is a fault it's not necessarily the closest one to the fault that will trip.

Indeed - but it's many years since I last saw an FCU which didn't have a DP switch - does anyone still make them?

Kind Regards, John

All the decent brands seem to be double poled, I don't know about the cheap range / own brand stuff.

All the decent brands seem to be double poled, I don't know about the cheap range / own brand stuff.
My comment applied to all brands. I may have missed some, but it's many years since I personally saw a SFCU with a SP switch, whether 'decent brand' or 'cheap range/own-brand'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back