Extending Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permissable to extend a ring main by taking the cables out through the back of a socket, into plastic conduit, along the outside wall and then back in to building further along the wall?

Sponsored Links
If the cable is adequately protected against mechanical damage, sunlight and solar heating, yes. However, view it as much preferable to route indoors if you can.

Cheers M1,
The problem I have is that the nearest socket on the ring is on an external wall in the middle of a decorated room which has a concrete floor and the CU is on the other side of the house.
Would 25mm conduit using the the appropriate enclosures be adequate?
The run outside is 7m.
Regards.

It could be OK, you need to consider if it could be damaged, how it mounts to the building and make sure all joins are weather proof.

Sponsored Links
elfreddo said:
The nearest socket on the ring is on an external wall in the middle of a decorated room which has a concrete floor
Does that mean that the ring runs up & down the walls, i.e. you may need to watch the length?

Or does it mean that the downstairs sockets are all spurs, in which case you can't do what you want?

and the CU is on the other side of the house.
The run outside is 7m.
What will that make the total length?

cheers bas
The ring is calculated at 80m2 and as you suggested the ring runs up and down the walls, so with the addition of 7m2 it will be just inside the maximum floor area.
Conduit and crimps?
Struggling a bit on this one.
Regards

It's not the floor area served which concerns me - it's the actual length of the circuit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back