Extending the ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to add a new socket to a wall as part of a kitchen remodel.I've been led to believe that I can extend the ring main by chasing the cable from an existing plug down to the kick space and round to the target wall and then chase it back up to the new socket. I'm fine with all of this, but wanted to check what I'd be best off using for the transition from cable in the wall to a conduit in the kick space.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure what you are asking, but you would use a continous length or lengths of twin and earth cable.

Typically you would chase the wall between the socket and just below the bottom of the worktop. The cable would either be clipped down the wall, or left loose if the base cupboards are in place. The cable would then run horizontally, either clipped to the wall, or neatly laid on the floor if access is difficult.

Conduit can be used between the bottom of the socket back box and bottom of the worktop.

Couple of questions first...
1. Are you sure the socket you're extending from is on the ring, and is not a spur? (The presence of 2 cables feeding this socket is an indication but no guarantee.)
2. Are you proposing to extend the ring by running 2 cables to the new socket?

You don't have to do anything special where the cable emerges from a chase to the surface. If it won't be seen it doesn't need to be pretty, just clipped or otherwise out of harm's way.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

1. I have yet to confirm that it is on the ring,but I thinks it’s a safe assumption as there do not appear to be any spurs in the house.

2. Yes I would extend using 2 sets of continuous wires.

Once th cable is chased to below the worktop, what’s the best way for it to exit the wall, like a cooker cable outlet is nice and neat, would I use something similar here or just literally have the cable coming out a hole?

Thanks again.

Just seen additional response. Is there a preferred ‘neat’ method? I’m trying to be as tidy as possible and don’t want the wife thinking I’m cutting corners.

No need for an accessory where the the cable transitions from chased to surface - don't introduce an unnecessary joint, especially an inaccessible one. I'm assuming this will be behind a base unit or behind an appliance?

You could use adhesive trunking and cut a slot a short way from the end then clip the lid and end cap over the point the cable exits the wall.

It doesn't matter though behind the units.

I suppose if you need to impress the wife, then run the cable in surface trunking, bring the cables in through the back where they come out of the wall and use a stop end.
Thankfully Mrs echoes is not so demanding!

Edit. Too slow again...

Good point about the joint. I hadn't thought about that. I'll probably go down the trucking route as its cheap enough and I'll feel like I've done it neatly then. Thanks very much for the advice!

Me again... I just wanted to check what would be the prefered way of joining on to the existing ring. I've seen mentions of junction boxes, but also crimps. I've used a million crimps on automotive wiring over the years, but never considered them for 240v. If I use the crimps would it be wise to keep them accessible (in the trunking for instance) or should they be boxed in the wall?

Thanks.

I just wanted to check what would be the prefered way of joining on to the existing ring. I've seen mentions of junction boxes,
Preferred is dependent on the person.
The best method is to use existing accessories but if not close then a junction box of suitable type.

but also crimps. I've used a million crimps on automotive wiring over the years, but never considered them for 240v.
Nor should you for solid conductors.

If I use the crimps would it be wise to keep them accessible (in the trunking for instance) or should they be boxed in the wall?
When suitable, they are acceptable for inaccessible joints.

When you say existing accessory, would that be the likes of an existing plug? So I'd have 4 sets of wires coming from the plug, 2 for existing ring and 2 for the new extension?

Existing socket.

Yes, two of them should be joined together with connectors to maintain the ring - or just have a spur.

You would, of course, need a JB (or two) with six connectors to extend the ring.

Connectors, but not crimps...?

The extension is for 2 double sockets at least so spur not really possible.

Crimps should not be used for solid conductors.

Yes, you will have to extend for two sockets.
Depending on the position you may be able to connect to two existing sockets and remove the length of cable that is at present between them.
Or have two spurs from two sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back