Extending storage heater cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am moving my storage heater from one end of the room to another. What is the safest way for me to extend the cable? I have a porcelain terminal block but after doing a bit of research I am unsure that this is suitable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why are you unsure?

What current is it rated for?

Also, remember these:

1) Screwed joints (like terminal blocks) should remain accessible for inspection.

2) Terminal blocks should not be left unenclosed.

3) Any concealed cables should only be run in the recognised Zones: 4) Concealed cables should be RCD protected: IEE Article on 17th Edition requirements for concealed cables.

Its a 30 amp porcelain terminal block

The reason I am unsure about it is because like you say it must be enclosed but this is just a terminal block with no enclosure

Also, I am running the cable behind a skirting board, what is the best way to keep the joint accessible?

The reason I am unsure about it is because like you say it must be enclosed but this is just a terminal block with no enclosure
You can get separate enclosures -

CHOCBOXA.JPG

CHOCBOXB.JPG

but whether they are large enough to take 30A ceramic blocks I doubt.

Also, I am running the cable behind a skirting board,
Don't do that.

what is the best way to keep the joint accessible?
Are you extending the fixed cabling to the outlet point for the heater, or leaving that where it is and extending the flex?

If the former, leave the back box in place with the connector block inside and a blanking plate on it.

If the latter why not just replace the flex with a longer piece?

Sponsored Links

You could replace your skirting with skirting trunking, I suppose. Or stick a big label on the skirting at intervals saying 'Warning - Concealed High Voltage Cable', or something like that.

Yes folks, I know it's really Low Voltage. :D

You could replace your skirting with skirting trunking, I suppose.
Only works if you have accessories in it, surely?

Or stick a big label on the skirting at intervals saying 'Warning - Concealed High Voltage Cable', or something like that.
Or cover it with this:

FMPT103.JPG

Seriously though - there is no exemption created by warning notices..

You could replace your skirting with skirting trunking, I suppose.
Only works if you have accessories in it, surely?

I don't see that at all. Surface trunking doesn't have to be in a safe zone. You only have to tap skirting trunking with your knuckles to know what it is to know what it is. Also (I ask with trepidation :) ) - why else is it available for sale? If you can't use it.
Seriously though - there is no exemption created by warning notices..
Still dubious - what about "This 'skirting board' is, in fact, surface trunking".

Incidentally, I wonder from your statement, whether you know the kind of skirting trunking I was talking about. It doesn't have room for accessories, as it just looks like skirting board (until you touch it).
0000D049.jpg

The one at the back - 110mm high.

Err um - yes, you're right.

For some reason I was thinking of the stuff that looks just like normal skirting board but has a couple of grooves on the back for cables....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back