extending the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we rent a semi detached 2 bedroom house out the tennant is moving out this week so we want to build on the existing house and eventually move back in to it.

we want to remove the existing conservatory off the rear as it is a tad small and build a 4x3 metre one (next door have the same size)

now onto the side we want a single storey building as a play room with a window at the front of the house and a door to the rear garden.

now do we have to leave any gap or can we go right upto the side fence ?
on the other side of the fence is a massive garden thats not anywhere near another house.

HOUSE-1.png

Sponsored Links
Do you know about Permitted Development or not? If not allow me to enlighten you, if the development meets the criteria required to meet the Permitted Development rules you will not need to apply for Planning Permission. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ You should check with the Planning Department to make sure 'your property retains Permitted Development rights'.

Regarding building up to the boundary you are not permitted to overhang the boundary or build anything over the boundary. Even getting permission from your neighbours can create difficulties should they sell up and new neighbours move in in years to come. Therefore even the outer edge of the gutter must not overhang the boundary. This will likely dictate that you need to set the wall back from the boundary by the width of the overhang of the eaves/gutter. You will also not be able to build part of the foundation over the boundary either so this would be a problem too unless the foundation was eccentric. You can do inboard gutters to minimise the overhang but they look awful and it can be difficult getting them to line up with the main house gutters/eaves.

You may find this document useful too: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

so with the side extension as long as its maximum height is no more than 4 metres and less than half the width of the house then i do not need planning permission ?

The maximum eaves height if within 2m of the boundary is 3m. The maximum overall height is limited to 4m (where it meets the house). Exceed these limits and permission is required.

Sponsored Links
do i have to pay any fees or apply for anything else if we stick to the rules of planned permission ?

or can the builder just get on with it ?

Doesn't anyone bother to say ta on here anymore! I don't give a bally fig about the stupid thanks button (so don't go clickin that now) just the odd acknowledgement!

May I ask you something, if you happened to ask for some advice in a builders merchant and were offered some sound advice would you simply turn around and head back out without saying a word or might you say thanks to the bloke? What's the difference on here????

Makes me jolly livid frankly!

Just get on with it and good luck with it I hope you end up with a Cowboy

Easy now tiger, I would've never taken you for somebody so needy ;)

Yes but again, just ike that time, you've got it out of context. The difference is I'm not trying to ponce a bit of work. I don't give a hoot what the OP thinks of me.

I think we can safely assume you do very much care what the OP thinks........hence the pathetic tirade.

lol i though that i gave thanks when i had all my answers.

maybe your gay and not come out about it yet ?
no need to take it out on others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back