Extending the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my partner and I have just purchased a new home it's a 1930's semi, she has discussed with me the possibility of extending the kitchen through the side wall of the house and extendeing the rear wall. At the present time the kitchen is 6 ft wide and positioned at the rear left hand side of the house as you look at it, we would like to extend to the left by about 4ft and I know we'd need a RSI to support the wall, however as she also wants to extend the rear by approximately 4 ft the I'm not sure whether we'd be able to do both as the beams would cross.. I'm hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on the best outcome, I'm hoping to speak to a structural engineer however I want advice from more than one place :) I hope there's enough information within my statement, if you have any questions please ask.

Take care

Alex

Sponsored Links
You need some basic kind of drawings to show a SE, and perhaps scan on here with pics of whats existing.

Its futile, and maybe dangerous, giving out advice on the basis of what you have said.

Here's a basic plan of what we would like to create, I'm on my iPad and I haven't got the appropriate app to create engineering drawings, the black lines are the proposed extension, the red lines being the walls as the currently stand, we only need a single storey extension and approximately 4ft deep. I hope these help a little, any advice I wouldn't take as solid and I will seek a local SE, I just require advice, information,
Cheers
Alex

Sponsored Links
Yes, i understood the basic layout but there are so many other factors, esp if you are extending sideways.

Knock throughs and pressure points have to be identified, and taken into account.

Maybe others feel more comfortable giving you advice on the basis of the details above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back