extending to the boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this year I purchased an extended 5-bed semi hich has a single storey rear extension.

On the side which met the attached neighbours the extension is set back about 1 meter, and I wanted to extend this up to the boundary so the room can actually be used, as currently just over 5ft wide, which is a wasted space

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Planning:
Both Permitted Development (subject to complying with specific dimensions) and non Permitted Development can be built (subject to planning permission for the latter).

Building Regulations:
If within 1 metre of the boundary then it must be built substantially of non combustible material (check exact wording) - See Building Regulations Part B - Fire Spread section.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Planning:
Both Permitted Development (subject to complying with specific dimensions) and non Permitted Development can be built (subject to planning permission for the latter).

Building Regulations:
If within 1 metre of the boundary then it must be built substantially of non combustible material (check exact wording) - See Building Regulations Part B - Fire Spread section.

Hope that helps.

Hi

That helps alot.

Currently has windows to side and all brick built. Will just be moving the wall over, and removing windows.

When you say "set back" you mean "set in" (as in the left wall of your house is 1 metre to the right of your left boundary) ? Set back more implies that the frontmost wall of the extension is 1 metre further away from the road than the frontmost wall of the original house..

Ensure you don't have things like gutters overhanging your neighbour's property. If the wall has a gutter, boiler flue, roof edge or other projecting feature then it is the feature that is the thing that is built right up to the boundary, not the wall. Hanging things over the boundary and into your neighbour's space will likely cause problems somewhere along the line

When you say "set back" you mean "set in" (as in the left wall of your house is 1 metre to the right of your left boundary) ? Set back more implies that the frontmost wall of the extension is 1 metre further away from the road than the frontmost wall of the original house..

Ensure you don't have things like gutters overhanging your neighbour's property. If the wall has a gutter, boiler flue, roof edge or other projecting feature then it is the feature that is the thing that is built right up to the boundary, not the wall. Hanging things over the boundary and into your neighbour's space will likely cause problems somewhere along the line

Your right, I meant "set in".

I guess I would need the wall on my side as the roof will need to overhang on the verge. I'm planning to put a mono pitch roof, if there's enough height under window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back