Extending under stair cupboard support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was hoping you could help I have started taking down what I believe to be a stud wall under my stairs.

I'm feeling a little uneasy about some of the studwork in case it's supporting.

Please could someone advise if any of these posts are holding up the quarter landing as I'm a bit nervous I've now gone a bit too far removing the posts.

Mainly the last pic with the notched noggin it looks as though it's holding the chipboard floor from the quarter landing. I have fixed a thick piece of timber underneath to start the extension under the stairs but worried this noggin I have left should have been removed and my post butt right up to the timber coming across but thought as I had the timber sat on the door frame then this was sufficient but just having slight doubts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.JPG
    IMG_3493.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_5236.PNG
    IMG_5236.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd say the studwork is supporting the quarter landing at least, but was the section you already took out going across the room definitely not supporting anything above like floor joists? Or the top staircase

thank you for the reply. From what I could see when I removed the studwall and exposed a gap in the ceiling the studwall was sat under a joist running the same way. this used to be a stud wall separating 2 rooms with a door. There is an external wall and a sleeper wall which I presume will be supporting the joists. My concern is the thickness of the treated timber I have used to support the quarter landing (if it is, which I think it is)

IMG_5237.PNG

this is what I could see once I removed the top part of the stud wall. Below the slope in the plasterboard is where the quarter landing is.

Sponsored Links
The floor joist above the wall you took out, may have needed that support depending what load it's carrying. Ie are there any stud walls near/above it. So I'd be a bit cautious and check that out properly if you haven't already.
The structure below the staircase that you removed, whatever it was supporting ie the stairs and quarter landing and anything else, that needs to be at least as good in whatever you've done instead, the wood you've used is (probably) fine it's more how it's supported.
Common mistake to think stud walls can't be "structural".

Probably made a big boo boo tbh. Especially as I have now plaster boarded that cupboard and I believe the bathroom stud wall is sort of floating now but I need to have another good look tonight as the bathroom wall may be seperate . May be a rip out job. It's been like that for about 1 year but I now need to consult a builder. Thank you for your help

This is the bathroom wall above the stairs. Hopefully all supported on that joist but need to be double sure.

Attachments

• IMG_5240.PNG
    IMG_5240.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
So on that close up pic of the joists which were above the wall you removed, there are 2 joists there , with a noggin connecting them, which means that stud wall could have been taking some/all of the load from both joists. So it's all down to what those joists are carrying ie stud walls etc. I'd recommend maybe drawing the whole setup once you've investigated and posting on here. It's possible that you need a steel in place of where the wall was.

Edit: when I said nogin above that looks more like a trimmer supporting multiple joist ends with joist hangers (landing floor?) In which case more likely that the original stud wall may have been important.

Ive got you and thank you I know where you're coming from. I will try to draw a set up. I thought that trimmer was to do with holding up the floorboards for the landing at the top of the stairs but may/may not be. The landing doesn't run parallel to the stud wall that was removed it is at a right angle to it.

I have noticed that the bathroom wall is sat separately on the ground as opposed to running from the loft, through the bathroom floor and into ground level so hopefully it's still a separate non load bearing floor

Last edited:
I need to try and find a floor plan. Because the wall in the bathroom and the wall I removed are separated between floors is this a good indication that theyre not connected in one load bearing wall?

Last edited:
Not really because walls can be built off floorboards (note can not should) but if you took away the support of nearby joists below you'd have an issue

When I removed the wall, there were no doubled up timbers anywhere just single 2x4. Where the wall in the bathroom is that was an airing cupboard turned into a shower.

Also the trimmer joist is the only one there in line with the edge of my landing. There were no repeat trimmers. Just that one and then the top of the timber ran straight across and then rested on another 2x4 and not the load bearing wall the other side.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back