Can stud partition under stairs be removed safely?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I propose removing the plasterboard/timber stud/hardboard triangle-shaped partition under the stairs, to give better access around a tight corner - e.g for getting a ladder to the back of this terraced property.

I have no idea of the original layout of the under stairs area because this house was given a cheapo 70s upper/lower flats split, with the stairwell boarded off.

Ideally, I would like to remove the whole 'triangle' - a sandwich of stud timber, plasterboard and hardboard framing.
It occurs to me that this would leave the stairs without physical support on one side, not to mention the upper above stairs stud partition.

To avoid a collapse of unsupported stair partition, I propose cutting and fitting a diagonal timber support to lie across the top line of the 'triangle' and thus bear the loading.

My question is this: If I knock out all the plasterboard and cut out the stud timbers along the diagonal line, will the (temporary) unsupported downforce bring disaster, before I have chance to measure and fit a timber diagonal floor-to-ceiling permanent support?

Sponsored Links
The triangular infilling below stairs is almost always non-structural, as the stairs are supported by the string (the thin but deep piece of timber that the treads and risers are housed into).

Thanks Tony,

I can see how the underneath triangle would be self-supporting in a 'normal' i.e. original, staircase design, with open wooden bannisters etc.

What I'm worried about is the weight of the plasterboarded section above the triangle diagonal, where the bannisters have been replaced with a sort of 'cavity wall' arrangement to separate the two flats. As this extends up into the upper flat landing as a sealed 'balcony', I'm hoping that it will be suspended from the floor joists above, and that removal of the downstairs corner vertical stud timber will prove, as you say, to be non-structural.

Maybe I'm worrying too much.

In that case, it they've fixed the studs to the edge of the floor above, you should be OK, but don't know how you would check this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Tony,

Having removed the stud/plasterboard covering, I can see that the staircase itself is self supported on both sides by the diagonal 'string' that you describe.

There is 100-year old bookcase-type thin panelling in the triangle lower area which clearly is doing nothing but cosmetic appearance. I can remove that and leave the 'string' and it all just stands up on its own. :D

cheers

Hnev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back