Extending wifi coverage

Some great advice here from SimonH2. I would just like to concur. Where possible use cable and or decent reliable access points. Ubiquiti make some nice network products including Wifi access points which can be combined to create a mesh (basically one visible wifi network).
For example placing one of these on your back wall would most probably serve most average large gardens including a garage at the end. They come with a POE connector which means power is injected over CAT cable to power device wherever you mount it you just need to feed Ethernet only.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-N...=UTF8&qid=1548926932&sr=1-2&keywords=uapacpro

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would suggest going with their ac models these days. That's an old single band model.
Also, those models aren't outdoor ones - IIRC they can be used outdoor in a sheltered location such as under the eaves. Check the specs - https://unifi-sdn.ui.com/

SimonH2 - thanks for your advice, it’s much appreciated.

I’m laying the Cat 5e this week (that’s the easy part for me) then I’ll have a go at setting the routers up (the scary part!).

Thanks again!

If you aren't used to it, crimping on the connectors will be the fun part. It's very easy to end up with an intermittently bad connection which is ... irritating :evil:

Sponsored Links
Yes I bet!

I’m wary of crimping so I was going to use a Cat5e socket at each end (with punch down connectors) and a couple of short patch leads.

Does that sound ok?

Yes, that's a better way of doing it - especially if the sockets are properly fixed on the wall so the cable can't flex at all.

Yes I’ve got suitable pattress boxes to be fixed to the walls and then run the Cat5e through the walls via hole in the back.

Thanks again!

Going through the walls ...
Slope the hole downwards towards the outside - then any water will run out rather than in.
Put a piece of conduit or plastic pipe though the wall - it'll make pushing the cable through a lot easier, and it will protect it from anything falling inside the cavity. Strictly speaking I think that's a requirement from the wiring regs anyway.
On the outside, a conduit box (cable goes through the back and nto the wall) and short piece of conduit down the wall may look neater than just clipping the cable to the wall.
Seal the hole on the outside with some non-setting mastic. A big dollop of sealant will also do - but is harder to dig out if you want to later.
Try drilling a small hole first, then enlarge it working from both sides. Can avoid that "half a brick missing" effect when the big drill blows a big chunk of brick out when you are close to breaking through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back