Ring wifi doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just fitted the above smart doorbell. I would like to pass on an installation tip for others as I was messed about trying to get it to connect to my home wifi.
If during the set-up installation ( I was using my iPad ) and you find it fails to find its own ID in wifi settings, then do as I did.
With the doorbell in hand, move away from your home router and see if it find the Smart doorbell ID in wifi settings. Once found and ticked, continue with the set-up moving back into range of the home router. Stay just far enough to allow your iPad to see your home wifi but still allowing the Smart doorbell to talk to it.
This worked for me and I hope it's of some help for others

Pete

Sponsored Links
what advantage does a wifi doorbell have compared to either a regular door bell or a zwave one? zwave I understand, wifi I dont, unless you are remotely notified of it being pressed? But then what, do you have a camera or intercom attached?

This bell has camera + video + intercom + motion detector. Don't no about wave. Yes, you and any other that you allow are notified on smart phones, iPads etc. Then you can talk or not and view and save.

Can you post the model number of the item?
I guess I am looking for the same but a zwave one. zwave is a wireless home automation protocol, so if your doorbell is rung for instance, you can get it to communicate to e.g. a zwave light switch which will then put on the lights or do some other action with another zwave device.

Sponsored Links
Google Ring doorbell. This bell can either be used via its own built in battery, comes with a charging cable, or connect to an existing low voltage bell.

If its wifi enabled, I cant see how this could be used with batteries, it would have to be wired to the mains. Its bad enough charging an iphone twice a day, cant imagine asking the wife to charge the door bell at 11pm before she sleeps :)

I charged it before fixing to the back plate. It reads that the battery life is "months". This is useful if you do not have a powered bell already. If stolen, free replacement, say, police report need. Had it working for a few days and appears very good. i see this as a active deterrent and handy when not at home.

I would be interested in your feedback in a couple of months time - please do report back especially the battery charging cycle. Any portable device that has wifi built into it consumed a lot of battery and I cant understand how this small device will be any different, granted it is just a push bell but the IR pickup will be a lot if you consider movement due to trees / bushes / passing traffic and two way sound.

It does look interesting and at a reasonable price (you paid sub £150?). Do you know if it takes an ordinary bell wire connection cable to the mains transformer. Do you know what Ring is charging for the cloud service after the first 30 days (if you opt for it)?

Just saw this on their FAQ / chat page:
Using Live View

Using Live View
Live View for Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Pro Doorbell and Ring Stick Up Cam gives you access to a live feed of your doorbell's camera at any time. (Note: Live View is not available for Ring Video Doorbells running on battery power. Only Ring Video Doorbells connected to doorbell wiring support Live View.)

Looks like you did google it. So, it's £20 per yr after 30days if you want storage For your £20 you get 6months of cloud storage on a rolling storage. I have mine hard wired and the app shows it as such. If you don't and run it via its battery, the app will show the battery life left. You can zoom in/out and adjust the various settings also.
The 180 view is clear both day/night. It comes with a total set up, small spirit level, double headed screw driver, screws, etc.
The thing that we found interesting was the fact that most break-ins start at the main door. If this bell now makes these people think about our interest in our house security, that's all the better.

I might look at this more seriously, depending if Fibaro release their zwave intercom anytime soon or not. Can you please confirm what type of wire you used to connect this to the mains, was it normal two core bell wire or is it plugged in with some kind of adapter?

I will want to have a mains transformer next to my consumer unit and run the wire to the door bell. How is the quality of the two way audio communication?

Yes, bell wire. Clear intercom
I fitted a Byron 230v wall mounted door chime from Screwfix ( 80766 ) @ £11.04.
The smart ring doorbell has its own built in bell that lets the pusher know the bells been activated and at the same time, the bells push ring flashes and spins.

Built in to the push button? Didn't i read somewhere that there is a plug in socket chime that you can move around?

Didn't i read somewhere that there is a plug in socket chime that you can move around?
There is such a thing, which must be purchased for even more money on top of the £175 you already spent on the doorbell.
You can only move it around to places with mains power that are in range of your wifi.

If your wifi goes off, neither the doorbell or the plug in chime will work.
If your phone is out of range, switched off, accidentally left in your car, another room or wherever, you will not be notified when someone is at the door.

If you are at home, the doorbell rings outside to notify the entire street, while the visitor stands there and waits while the phone app eventually indicates that someone pressed the doorbell.
If you are not at home, you can waste time explaining to people at the door that you are not at home even though you are talking to them as if you are, and whatever they wanted will have to wait until you are there.

what advantage does a wifi doorbell have compared to either a regular door bell
None whatsoever. It's a completely pointless device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back