Extending Wire for socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to bother you.
There is probably a simple answer, but I tried in vain to change a single three pin socket for a surface mounted double socket. The only problem is the wires are not long enough to be secured in the surface mounted one. (Whoever wired in the single one obviously had problems as it fell off the wires without me undoing the screws when I took it off the wall!)

Anyway I tried to pull the cable through a bit more with a pair of pliers but they wont budge. I have managed to reconnect the old single socket (making sure the screws holding the wires are tight) and put it back.
So how do I extend the wires? Is there an easy way with a terminal block, or do I have to wait till I redecorate and use a junction box?

Many thanks

Mottsy

Sponsored Links
You might do better to enlarge the hole in the wall and fit a sunk double box. Remember to use rubber grommets in the knockouts and sleeve the earth wires.

If you move the position of the opening slightly downwards, towards the incoming cables, you can give yourself a little extra slack on the wires.

Cut the wallpaper first with a craft knife, and you may be able to cut away the plaster and brick neatly enough that you do not have to redecorate that corner early. Obviously take care not to strike or cut the cables.

Thanks for the swift response.

Unfortunatley the wall is clad with wood pannelling. Also the two cables inside come one from the bottom but the other goes staight through the wall to the garage. So I guess I will hae to do some major chiselling to sort it all out. Probably best left til I decorate.

Thanks again

Mottst

It is permisable to join cables but if you do so use a ratchet crimper and the correct size crimps.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec,

The ratchet crimper sounds like it might be the way to go. I have had a quick look and they don't seem too expensive. Is there a particular type I need for domestic use please?

Many thanks

Mottsy

Mind you don't get one for telecomms or IT networks, these are much too small, or one for car electrics, they are the cheap ones you see in DIY shops and are not ratcheted so unsuitable for the solid-core cables which need quite a powerful squeeze.

I believe the correct tool will cost you in the region of £25

My thanks to Everyone.

It will obviously be a quick and simple job but without this site I would have ended up either knocking down half the wall or paying for a qualified Electrician to do this simple task.

Many thanks

Mottsy.

Part 2

OK I've got my ratchet crimpers, I've got some Butt connectors, (Blue for the 2.5mm cable),

The question is, once I've extended the wires do I need to protect the connection with insulation tape, choc box or anything?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mottsy

the original single socket box (which you are presumablly mounting your double box over the top of) should be a perfectly suitable enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back