Wiring for Single socket to double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i moved in to my current propery, all but one of the upstairs rooms had flush fitted single power sockets.

The execption was one roomwhich had surface mouted double sockets like this

Im currently decorating this room and want to get rid of the plastic surface mount boxes and replace with flush mounted back boxes.

On dismantling the surface boxes i discovered that they have been piggy backed on top of single socket metal back boxes as per the attached image.

I suspect the single sockets were the original configuration as this matches the rooms that dont appear to have been modified

My question is, with the current wiring, can i safley wire up double sockets?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Many thanks iggifer

Just thought id double check before opening up the holes and getting sometwin back boxes

It does look like your earth goes to the box and then to the socket. Make sure you swap it around so that it goes to the socket and then the box

Sponsored Links
It does look like your earth goes to the box and then to the socket. Make sure you swap it around so that it goes to the socket and then the box
Yes, ideally that would be what one would do. However, looking at the pic I'm not sure that the incoming CPC would necessarily reach the socket (easily or at all) - in which case one might have to accept the present arrangement (arguably no worse than attempting to extend the CPC).

Kind Regards, John

I suspect that wall is timber and plasterboard (stud wall)

Check first there are no 'uprights' in the way.

A pad saw is best to cut plasterboard.

Don't forget you could use a Converta socket, though chances are it won't match any other sockets you have.

Sorry, I don't agree. It looks to me like a double pattress and a double socket mounted over a flush single box.

In fact, one can see the faceplates screws on the left and right - flush Convertas don't have these (the screws are hidden where the earth holes are).

Some double pattresses have fixing holes which line up with a standard single box.

A Converta is flush, or at least semi-flush. They are a little chunkier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back