Extending wiring to move consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not quite sure what to do for the best practice here, I am planning on removing an internal wall in my house between dining room and kitchen unfortunetly my consumer unit is on this wall so needs to be moved a few feet onto another wall. i have been upstairs and taken up floorboards unfortunately the wiring to the consumer unit doesn't give me enough slack to make this move.

I need about a foot and a half, 18 inches extra to extend all the existing wiring to enable move. What the best solution without having to rewire everything.

Would I use 40amp connection blocks (max mcb is 32amp for ring mains sockets), join new length this way and wrap electrical tape around blocks to seal for each individual flex or use individual jb for each extension.
Advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
A much better way would be to join the cables using a Ratchet Crimper which might cost you £20 or so (CK tools or CEKA seem to make a good one).

This change may be subject to Building regulations, if you are thinking of doing it yourself, see if your local authority has a informative leaflet or website on DIY electrics. If you are not skilled you may do better to get in a suitably qualified electrician.

There is also a very good "Part P" post by Ban-All-Sheds on here //wiki.diynot.com/electrics?DokuWiki=2ca5120879c9a38d8ceea0a6c43abd3c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back