Extending your existing dining table!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people on a budget and was wondering if they sell/make anything to extend your existing dining table, pic attached

I was hoping for something that can come up from under one end of my table - either to slide out or fold out from that side.

So like an extra component piece really, that can otherwise be screwed under the table and taken out as required...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
I know you get tables today that extend through the middle piece and when I can afford I'll get that - like attached - but for now any advice on extending existing table is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 195
not an option really you need to buy an extendable table
you cannot simply cut and extend a table that is not constructed as such

A temporary solution would be to make a larger removeable top . A piece of MDF or ply cut to the size of surface needed could be screwed to and be held in a place with a ,'frame" the size of the existing table made from 2x1. The overhangs would have to be reasonable.
Further engineering to use bolts or catches as security would be possible

Sponsored Links
just to add to tonys excellent advice
you dont need batons full length on each side or the ends
if you have a baton covering the central say 30" each side screwed on you can unscrew the side batons and cut the the board in half for storage
or even into quarters but that runs the risk off the 4 edges meeting in the center not being tied together and a lot more movement iff you lean on or knock the table

Last edited:
Don't want to add or cut anything on top tbh

I thought there may be a gadgety foldable/slideable "extension piece" out in today's world cut guess not eh cheers anyway!

As big-all says, even if you find some sort of mechanism that will fit, you're going to have a problem matching the wood. Like a lot of things, you probably could extend the table in various ways, but it really isn't worth it. Personally I'd keep an eye out in the secondhand furniture places for a decent quality extending table which I'd re-finish if necessary.

Not fussed About matching wood as I have table cloth anyway lol
But seems Like there isn't any feasible solution at this time so better just keep an eye out for an extendable one on offer !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back