Bowed dining table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We've bought a second hand solid pine dining table which has a bow in it (See attachment). I'm wondering if I clamp the table at the edges and re-drill some holes and put some chunky screws in whether it will fix the problem or just split the wood? If it's the latter, is there anything I can do to get this table top straight again?

Thanks for looking.

C

Attachments

• 20170714_114405.jpg
    20170714_114405.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
As it's too big to steam, so you'll need to plane the worst area down, and then sand it carefully, checking with a straigh edge as you go

The table top needs to move thus screwing it solid or gluing is not an option.
If the opposite side is lifted it will likely come down into place. Then decent hold downs fixed on that side.
Then pull the opposite side down slowly over a period of time using clamps.
Benched in my work shop for a week would leave it fixed I'm pretty sure. Though future cracks manifesting them selves can't be ruled out.
The second flat sawn plank is where the problem has arisen.
A few saw blade slits on the underside might be an option which would reduce the compression force.
And could be glued and filled with a sliver of wood at a later date.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
my thoughts
do not look at any extreme, just look at "encouraging "it to go flat don't go ott just basic screws in the right place and live with what happens iff wood has settled in one place you need to encourage by gentle persuasion as "force " is not a good option as you are upsetting the equilibrium

I will not sugar coat the pill - unless it is flat and straight before you start to join the timber together it won't be possible to bend it flat or "persuade: it in any way a d still end up with a flat table top. I introducing a warped piece then trying to clamp it flat will simply transfer the tensions causing the warp into the rest of the table top and result In movement onrce the clamps have come off - if not immediately, then over time. This is the main reason why cabinet makers either dimesion timber then glue up almost straight away, or dimension excess stock and pick out the good stuff (bent bits get used for shorter componets). In any case it is almost impossible to glue things up perfectly flat, so you'll still need some way to remove minor irregularities such as lips at joints, etc - an excellent reason to own a few hand planes

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back