Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plan to do everything properly if and when we decide to do this project but just trying to get my head around this at this stage..
Looking into building a single storey side return extension to make kitchen bigger and incorporate 2 outside buildings.
Our neighbours extension forms the border of our property's so my thought was to tie into there extension.
Spoke them about this and creating a party wall award but they have refused on the grounds it will affect them being able to sell there house and could cause damp problems.
If i go down the route of getting surveyors in are they likely to go in my favour?

Alternatively, is there a way to build a single skin wall on my land next to there extension and insulate the gap in between.

Any input appriciated.

Sponsored Links
If it’s their extension wall and within the boundary on their land then it’s their wall on their land and I can’t see your chances being very high

You have the right to create a new party wall astride the boundary, but not to use their existing wall on their side of the boundary.

You would have to knock the wall down, build a new one and pay for the lot of it.

Or build a completely new wall on your side of the boundary and this will need to meet the standards of an external wall and maintain a gap between the neighbours wall

Explain to them that the alternative to using their wall to tie yours is to leave a 4 inch gap which will attract leaves , birds (alive and dead), mammals (alive and dead cats mainly), rodents and inevitably dampness.
Instead, i have never seen damp on a party wall.
I say 4 inch gap assuming they built on the boundary.
Of course, if they've left a larger gap (as they're supposed to), there would be a bigger gap but same problems.

Sponsored Links
If you are within your boundary yes.
Especially if it's permitted development.
Speak to them and make them reason.
A small gap between extensions is trouble for everyone.

My view is that if they've built right up to the boundary then it's only fair that you can too.

Have you looked at their roof verge detail (assuming it's a monopitch roof) and established whether they're overhanging you, or whether they're actually 50mm set back to accommodate their dry verge or whatevers going on up there?

Maybe you could get an initial consultation with a surveyor? There is a presumption that the party wall process should enable work to take place, so the surveyors would probably reach a binding agreement that would allow you to proceed without the problematic gap. Unfortunately it could be quite expensive if that involves demolishing and rebuilding the existing wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back