Party wall options with extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to run this past you all and get a few opinions.
I am planning a single storey extension to the rear of my semi therefore have approached my neighbour regarding access etc party wall act and so on and after seeing my plans they would also like to do the same in a few years time , but who knows !!
Any way would anyone be able to give advice as to whether it is possible to build the wall in the same position as the original parting wall on the new extension if i gain my neibours permision in writing, obviously it would be a brick outer skin. This way i would gain an extra 150mm to my side and would save them building a side if they did go ahead in the future. + they also get 150mm and a much cheaper extension than me.
Its all well and good while they still live there, but how do i stand if they sell without building an extension and new owners object or something ? Anyone done this or got any advise
Cheers

Sponsored Links
what does your local bco say?

I am under the impression you cant

If you neighbour is in agreement you can do this with no problem. You should record the agreement in a party wall award though, just in case you get new neighbours before their build is completed.

mikric

I work as an architect and have done this many times, you just explain the benefit of cost savings + the extra room - i've always had the neighbours agree. The spec at which you build you're wall will mean they can literally dot + dab it when + if they build they're extension.

Ensure you have a Party Wall agreement drawn up + signed. Ensure any mess/distruption is kept to a minimum + you'll have a happy neighbour. If you can keep them happy, it'll help when there turn comes to build an extension.

Sponsored Links
This is what I did with the extension on my previous house. I agreed to put trelllis on the other side. All people were happy

Thanks for the replies .
Have had a word with next door and they have no probs with my idea.
Question now is, the best way to go about it do i just serve them with a basic standard party wall notice or do i need to include in some way that the wall will be over my boundary and on their land or something like that.
Alternatively is it best to approach my architect to draw something up for me which will no doubt cost me.
Also my plans are already in to the council will they need amending
Cheers for the help folks :D

In terms of your plans, i presume u mean the planning application.......if so ask them if the party wall changes can be considered a minor modification. They will require revised drawings etc, but they should be ok with it.

For the Party Wall agreement, it includes a section that describes the works + how it will effect them. You have to serve them with the notice + get it signed off prior to works beginning. Ask your architect for it, he should do them.

:evil: :evil: Just found out :evil: :evil:
Have given amended plans to council ,and am now back to stage one in the planning process. Am just about ready to go for it ,building regs sorted and so on .wanted to be done for christmas .
Total s--- just for 8" oohh eerr

peca27 said:
mikric

I work as an architect and have done this many times, you just explain the benefit of cost savings + the extra room - i've always had the neighbours agree. The spec at which you build you're wall will mean they can literally dot + dab it when + if they build they're extension.

Ensure you have a Party Wall agreement drawn up + signed. Ensure any mess/distruption is kept to a minimum + you'll have a happy neighbour. If you can keep them happy, it'll help when there turn comes to build an extension.

What would happen though, if the OP moves out, the neighbour decides he wants to do his extension and then the new owners of the OP's house refuse to give permission for the neighbours to use the wall? Sounds like real potential for a headache for someone down the line. :?:

freddymercurystwin said:
peca27 said:
What would happen though, if the OP moves out, the neighbour decides he wants to do his extension and then the new owners of the OP's house refuse to give permission for the neighbours to use the wall? Sounds like real potential for a headache for someone down the line. :?:

The way I understood that was that the party wall was already on the other property, ALSO. When the new party is buying the house there solicitor will be (or should be) making that point. Cant see a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back