Extension built without airbricks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I moved in to my first house last year and I was a tad green around the ears and have since found a number of issues that may have been avoidable.

The latest seems to be the lack of ventilation at the rear of the house due to an extension.

The house is a 1930s two story semi with a raised floor. The extension is single story across the width of the house (approx 2m in depth) and has a solid floor butted up to the raised floor. From what I can gather, the extension is likely to be about 10 years old.

I've finally got round to decorating the rear room that backs on to the solid floor and after lifting the carpet could smell a musty smell. By chance, I noticed some loose boards due to an aerial being fitted and lifting them to refit. After lifting, I spotted water droplets at the end of a joist near the party wall - this joist is the closest one to the solid floor. The ground is also damp (although there is a high water table and we are at the bottom of a shallow hill). I assume this is being caused by the lack of ventilation at the rear of the property... I've prodded the joist with a screwdriver and it's solid so I'm hoping I'm not too late to rectify the issue. The joist sits on brick with what looks like a rubber sheet and possibly slate between it.

There is probably a 9" gap between the end of the extension and my neighbour's fence that has an original airbrick, given that this is down the side of the extension and has a fence opposite to it, I can't imagine there is a lot of airflow.

If this is the case, what would be my options - would I have to excavate the solid floor to install ducting to provide the air flow or are there some less dramatic fixes (ie, periscopic ducting from the top of the extensions?).

Sponsored Links
Your house detached, a semi, terraced or what? Is here a gap between your existing walls and the boundary?

Hi,

It's a semi - the area of poor airflow (assuming that's the issue) is against the party wall so the only option is the rear of the house (which is where the extension is).

There's about a foot gap to the side of the extension to the boundary and about 25 foot to the rear of the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back